Author Topic: Interested in the QUICK family of Uplowman  (Read 9985 times)

Offline darcy of welbeck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Interested in the QUICK family of Uplowman
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 October 10 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks David. You will be  correct. Our Births Deaths Marriages Queensland online  say 1874/ B8610 (  the  certificate of  death ref No )  Father's name- Richard Buswell  Mother's name   "Harriett ** born Northhampshire 39 years".   I know  this is your Catherine married to Thomas Ireland.   These items have been  often wrongly transcribed for on line  availability especially  poor eligibility of early colonial handwriting!  This link should help
https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/querySubmit.m?ReportName=DeathSearch

Was Harriett the name of Thomas Quick's  child  born before they immigrated  here ? as a Harriett Quick was in Queensland and had a  daughter who died in 1910. We visited Thomas' grave at Toowong today( d. 7/06/1918) . He is buried with his 2nd wife Margaret ( nee Gerletta) and next to this  grave is his and Catherine's son-in-law and granddaughter's grave.( Henry DODD and Elsie Gerletti Dodd.)  Catherine nee Buswell died in 1874 and was buried in Paddington Cemetery as Toowong Cemetery was not yet opened .These graves were disinterred for our Lang Park  now Suncorp football stadium and I  don't  know where she has been placed in Toowong cemetery
 regards     Mark.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:05 BST (UK) »
My records show that  their daughter was Sarah Ann Quick and was born in Plymouth Registration District in Q2 1863.  Catherine died of puerperal fever in Brisbane Queensland Australia 26 Jun 1874 and was buried in the baptist cemetery.

If you want more about the Buswells click on the green scroll to the left of this post and PM me an email address.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline addison john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear Alan (BartyB),

Thanks so much for your response of 12th September.  Am sorry for not keeping in touch with the website, swallowed up a bit here in Sydney and am currently selling house and packing up.

Our connection seems firm between the brothers William and Abraham, so I am glad we can welcome each other as cousins.

William was transported in the 1830s for 14 years, afterwards becoming a tailor in Maitland, NSW and marrying Rachel Nieto from the prominent Sephardic Jewish family of London's East End.  She had travelled out as a freewoman to be a governess for her sister and brother-in-law, who was William's master.

Will keep an eye out for things about Abraham.

Regards,
Virginia
Byrne (Dublin), Cheetham (Todmorden), Crawford (Greenock),  Fielden (Todmorden), Quick (Devon, Uplowman), Watts (Cambridge), Williams (Glamorgan)

Offline addison john

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 February 11 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear David and Mark,

My sister, Johanna (dorothybennett), has some information on Thomas Ireland Quick, and she will be in touch.

Thankyou for responding,
Virginia

Byrne (Dublin), Cheetham (Todmorden), Crawford (Greenock),  Fielden (Todmorden), Quick (Devon, Uplowman), Watts (Cambridge), Williams (Glamorgan)

Offline darcy of welbeck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Virginia  .  Have  since found Thomas Ireland Quick  was thrice married. Catherine Buswell,  then  Margaret (  nee Gerlatta but  was a  McLaren  by  then )  and  then followed by her  death  married to  Sarah Fletcher Leeson.  Only  Catherine  had  his  children.   He was an ironmonger  in  George St. Brisbane and can  be  found  with  his wife Sarah on the electoral  rolls.
regards  Mark.

Offline hillee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just read your post regarding William and Abraham Quick of Uplowman, Devon. I believe they are both my 3x great uncles. Can you give me birth dates so I can be sure? Interested to read that William was transported for 14 years, can you tell me more please?

Regards
Richard, Southampton, England

Offline BartyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 July 16 17:18 BST (UK) »
Very late replying I know but as far as I've been able to establish, Abraham Quick 1 was born on 26 March 1820 in Uplowman.

Alan.
Bartlett (Wellington, Bracknell, Fenny Stratford & London); Massingham (Langham & London); Quick (Tiverton & Clacton); Kirby (Essex)

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 06:23 BST (UK) »
A James Quick Tristram wound up in the Waikato area of NZ c 1860's, I think he may have come from Australia- his son Henry Exford tristram married my gggf sister Minnie Ann May Pearson.

Cheers
Jane

Offline Clare Jarvis Barton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 March 21 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
Just read your post on the Quick family. James 1813 is a direct ancestor (4th gr grandfather) but having problems with identifying his parents. I think they are William & Mary, but there are so many quick families in the area it’s difficult to narrow down which ones.
Any information gladly received
Clare x