Author Topic: (Northern) Irish migration to England  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
(Northern) Irish migration to England
« on: Wednesday 11 August 10 01:13 BST (UK) »
A few questions-

1) I've been told there aren't any records for the journey- is that true?
2) Am I right in thinking that someone coming over from Northern Ireland, an 18 year old in this case, if he lodged with someone in England, their families would probably be connected?
3) Was it common for a migrant to start using a local place name as their place of birth on census?
4) Why might someone come to England 1861-1871? I don't know if there was any particular lure to Northumberland at that time, or if anything in particular was driving people away from NI at that time, or if he just thought coming to England was a good idea at the time.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: (Northern) Irish migration to England
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 01:21 BST (UK) »
Q1 - yes - there was free passage between England & Ireland so no passenger records

Q2 - not necessarily

Q3 - I wouldn't say it was common.  Most at least used their birth country even if not the exact part.  Ireland but no county is very common on census entries

Q4 - lots of reasons - work being the main one.  Lack of it in Ireland.  It is   impossibile to give any realistic opinion as it is something only your ancestor could answer?  1861-1871 was after the Irish potato famine
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 15:53 BST (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 16:01 BST (UK) »
To answer your 1st question- Ireland was part of the U.K. so no records were kept for people travelling between Ireland and Scotland, England and Wales.
2) an 18 year old would probably have been working for several years by that stage and might easily have goine to Scotland on his/her own- perhaps with or to a relative or friend or perhaps not.
3) I think the census asked for county of birth (if in England) or country (if outside England) so in most cases 'Ireland' would be listed as birthplace
4) reasons for leaving Ireland varied- employment, family circumstances, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 16:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks. It seems either family rumour is wrong once again or he's been tricky (once again). I'm trying to follow all possible leads at the moment  ::)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:09 BST (UK) »
There was lots of heavy industry in the urban parts of Northumberland and a consequent demand for unskilled labour. Just google for something like "Irish immigration to Northumberland".
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)