Author Topic: Gavican family  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Quinlyn

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gavican family
« on: Wednesday 11 August 10 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My friend, Mildred, is currently doing some family research on the Gavican family.  In particular: Thomas Gavican, a baker, born in Roscommon, Ireland c: 1834.  Please would anyone be able to give us some background information to this gentleman, particularly with regard to parentage?

Thomas later moved to Dumfriesshire, Scotland and died in Carlisle, Cumbria in Mar Qtr 1890 (aged 56).

Thank you very much.

Michael and Mildred

Offline johnros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gavican family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
When and where did Thomas marry?
What was the name of his wife?
When did he arrive in the UK?
Did he travel to the UK with his siblings? Is so, what were their names?
Do you have the names and order of birth of Thomas’ children?

Offline Quinlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Johnros,

We think his wife was called Sara or Sarah, but we have no idea of when they married, although we think it was in Ireland.  We don't have a maiden name for her.  This is what we are trying to find.

We think Thomas arrived in Scotland in 1851 to 1861, but was definitely living in Carlisle in 1861, aged 27.  We do not know if he came over with siblings, as we are not sure if he had any.

The children that Thomas and Sara had were: James (b: 1854), Thomas (b: 1856), John (b: 1858), Mary Ann (b: 1861).  The boys were all born in Scotland and Mary Ann was born in Cumberland.

Thanks so much.

Michael and Mildred

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages in Ireland started in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages) so for earlier dates you have to search for church records (if they exist). To see if church records exist you need to know both the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Quinlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Aghadowey, we weren't aware of that.  We have a firm idea that the Gavican's were Roman Catholic, so this could mean a trip to Ireland  ;)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
Don't pack your bags just yet. If all you have is they were R.C. and came from Roscommon there are lots of possible churches and it's possible that the records will not go back for enough.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Quinlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.

It makes the research quite difficult if the records don't go far enough back.  Could you suggest somewhere in Ireland that may have the information.  We don't mind paying for certificates if need be.

Appreciate the help you have given us...

Michael and Mildred

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 14:04 BST (UK) »
Full Civil registration started in Ireland in 1864 - so there will only be certs from then on (In addition non-Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 ).

See : Introduction to Irish Records

To research older parish records you really need a location (i.e. parish) so that you can check when records started for that parish. Microfilms for RC parishes are available in the National Library of Ireland (Dublin). See also this map of RC Parishes - Co. Roscommon  (Irish Times) Click on the various parishes to see dates available and places where records may be available.

You could try the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation (www.irish-roots.ie) as they have RC parish records (as Transcripts) for Co. Roscommon, but they may not have all details or areas. Without further information such as his parents names or his place of birth it could be quite difficult to confirm, or rule out, any possible records you find.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Quinlyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for all of that information - most helpful.  We will have a good look at the map and see what we can find.

We really appreciate all of that help and thanks for taking the time out to look that up for us.

Thanks again,
Michael and Mildred