Author Topic: James Hennessy from Galey to Australia, Jan 1861  (Read 19326 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: James Hennessy from Galey to Australia, Jan 1861
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:21 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that the dates in Ryan's for those two parishes are correct as the NLI Parish Index shows different dates.

Listowel Film - Pos.4281
  Baptisms from Aug. 1802, Marriages from Jan. 1837

Ballybunion & Ballydonohoe - film Pos.4280
  Baptisms from Nov. 1831,  Marriages from Feb. 1837

I'm not sure where Murhur is in relation to these locations..... will have a look

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
I'm getting parishes and townland crossed again... Murhur  is the townland and Moyvane is the RC Parish, which is next to the parish of Listowel.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Shane
Sorry my mistake!! I should have said Murhur in Moyvane parish.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all "on the case" for the very welcome pointers :) Everything is helpful...
(Any likely related (Kerry) Hennessys with old family photos, I'd be most interested to see if you share our distinctive Hennessy characteristics. A striking breed indeed, with many beauties ;D)

The area James farmed at Hexham (NSW), on fertile river flats with expanses of marsh, must have been very reminiscent of the birthplace he left at age 20.
Many of my Irish ancestors, from various counties, spoke English as a 2nd language. Is it likely that this would have been the case for a Galey native also, do you think?
Ann
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline Maellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 August 10 17:00 BST (UK) »
I have photos and and have visited bother Lisselton and Ballybunion and met the families.
                                                   Maellen

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 August 10 02:06 BST (UK) »
Maellen- whoo hoo!

I'm very excited to hear from you about the photos ...I'm about to pm you. Thank you so much :D
Ann
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline kiwisean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 05:47 GMT (UK) »
There was a large family of Hennessys located just outside Ballybunion in a townland called Lahardane. It was in the parish you're interested in. Don't know if any James lived there but there were a lot. My GGGGrandmother was a Hennessy from there and I have her photo.
Sean

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 February 11 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sean!

......not having heard anything further about the Hennessy's for a few months I'm very pleased to hear from you, and would be delighted to see your 4xgt granny's photo if it's at all possible for you to scan & email it.

I also wonder if Maellen is still about & ok.

I'll pm you with my email address,

Ann

Offline kiwisean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 February 11 07:10 GMT (UK) »