Author Topic: Frain Family  (Read 17506 times)

Offline frainj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frain Family
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 21 June 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
The use of Doogerry, or some variation on that name, also caused me great confusion.  I now believe that, at one time, the locals referred to Carrownaraha as Doogerry.  The placename Doogerry now appears to be lost.

Darby Moran (Margaret Moran's father) is recorded in the Griffith Valuation as a landholder in Carrownaratha.  The maps on http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ identify the holding as the farm where I spent some of my summer holidays about 70 years ago.  He is identified as living in Doogerry as the father of the bride on the wedding cert. 

Some time ago I did a search for various registration certs for those living in Carrownaraha in the 1901 Census.  On almost all that I found the residence was recorded as Doogerry and not Carrownaraha. I did see one reference to Springhill which is a neighboring  "townland".

Doogerry was the address that my father and mother used in writing to my grandparents until the early 50s.  At that stage, the Post Office requested that the address be changed to Springhill.

I have failed to find any reference on the web to a placename of Doogerry or similar in that area.  After a gap of about 30 years, I revisited the area in the 80's  I sought instructions from the Garda station in Ballyvary.  No one there had any knowledge of Doogerry.  I set out to find it and got instructions from an elderly gentleman who gave me details of my grandfather's holding.

There is a place called Doohana which is very close to Carrownaraha.  On the Griffith Valuation Maps, the Moran holding(s) are close to Doohana.  I often wonder if Doogerry was a corruption of Doohana.  Perhaps someone local might have some local knowledge.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 21 June 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
Looking at the old maps Doohana and Spring Hill are both areas with a group of buildings within the townland of Carrownaraha.
You would need to be an expert of old Irish names/language but I would suspect both areas were called Doo with the different endings describing the difference between the two.
Irish place names usually describe the place, either it's features or some use that it has but they can be very difficult to work out even for the experts.
Creedon's Atlas of Ireland was very good if you can access the RTE Player
https://presspack.rte.ie/2019/08/11/creedons-atlas-of-ireland/

I had a similar situation with one of my families they insisted on using a name that isn't marked on any map, a local was able to point it out and I did find one very early official reference when their mill wheel was repaired.

Messing about with place names on https://www.logainm.ie/en/ I think it's possible the Doo is Dun which is a type of old settlement or enclosure similar to a Rath, that would fit perhaps with the later two areas of buildings in the townland. The second part of the names would distinguish the two Dun's from each other.

Offline Yllek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 21 June 20 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Frainj and JFK1964
I got notification of your new postings.  I recently found the marraige cert of Margaret Moran and John FREANEY.  Daughter of Darby Moran and Richard Freaney.  They married on the 21th of December 1877 at Straide Church.  John's address is listed as Balaghy and Margaret's as Doogery
Balaghy is on the Sligo/Mayo border at Charlestown.
(Daughter of James Kelly)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 21 June 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Frainj and JFK1964
I got notification of your new postings.  I recently found the marraige cert of Margaret Moran and John FREANEY.  Daughter of Darby Moran and Richard Freaney.  They married on the 21th of December 1877 at Straide Church.  John's address is listed as Balaghy and Margaret's as Doogery
Balaghy is on the Sligo/Mayo border at Charlestown.
(Daughter of James Kelly)

There is a link to the marriage cert in Reply#27

Offline Vford2210

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 05 November 21 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Winifred Frain is my Great Great Grandmother, I started tracing my family ancestry last year.