Author Topic: Frain Family  (Read 17408 times)

Offline Nurmal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frain Family
« on: Friday 06 August 10 08:00 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my Frain ancestry.
My ggrandparents John (born c1851) and Margaret (born c1856) lived in Carrownaraha near Ballyvary on the 1901 and 1911 Irish census.
John and Margaret were both born in Mayo. The occupation is shown as farmer. They had seven children, Winnie (Winafred?), Patrick (Pat on census, my grandfather), Michael, Richard (spelt Ritchard on census), Bridget, John and Thomas.   Winnie is not shown on either census but may have left home for work or been married prior to 1901.  I have an address for her in 1916 in Aston Birmingham.
In 1916 when Thomas was killed in France (Connaught Rangers) the address for John and Margaret from the CWGC was Doogerra Ballyvary.
John (son/my grandfather’s brother) married Delia (Bridget ?) and had four children. These are John, Theresa, Bridget and Phil (female probably Philomena).
John (son/my grandfather’s brother) and Delia were still living in Doogerra in 1954. The children of John and Delia had all moved away by 1954 and John (son of John and Delia) was living in Dublin..
I do not know if Doogerra is a small village or if it is the name of a farm or house.
Pat (1879 - 1958) and Richard (c1885 - 1947) moved to Yorkshire.
Pat moved sometime after the 1901 Irish census and before the 1911 Irish census and married my grandmother, Elizabeth Clee, daughter of Thomas and Ruth Clee in April 1919 at Castleford. Richard moved to Yorkshire after the 1911 Irish census. He moved to Wombwell.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frain Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 August 10 10:36 BST (UK) »
Good morning Nurmal,

You have quite a bit of information there so presumably want to go back from Patrick and Margaret. That would mean their marriage certificate which would give you their fathers' names and maybe addresses.
Family search pilot site http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home has Irish BMD indexes but there are a lot of Frains.
However, you do have some approximate births/place and parents names so that should help to get a birth certificate for one of the children and then the marriage certificate.
http://www.groireland.ie/
I know we pass through Ballyvary area when we go to Mayo but not sure if the registrar would have been Swinford or Castlebar then. Here is Castlebar address:
Civil Registration Office, New Antrim Street, Castlebar, Co. Mayo Contact: 094 9023249
pehaps a phone call there would tell where to look.
When we were in Mayo in June we went to the Mayo Peace Park in Castlebar which is a lovely place of commemoration for those Mayo people who died in the wars. There has been a book published too which seems to have the CWG information to identify the dead. (My gt uncle is remembered there.)
I have just looked at the site and there is a Thomas Frain Castlebar but whether he is yours I don't know. The details would be in the book but it is a big book and, I think, expensive and from what I recall they are just lists as on CWGC site.
http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/towns-villages/castlebar/visitors-guide/mayo-peace-park.html New Link 2015
It looks as though Doogerra vould be Doogary and there are a few of those around Castlebar/Swineford by the looks of it.
http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/  (Search for 'Doog' at beginning of field in drop down menu.)

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nurmal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 August 10 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info - you have also responded to my "Foster of Darlaston" post.
I will work my way through this.
My Thomas Frain is 7267, 6th Battalion Connaught Rangers.  I have a lot of his paperwork including army records which is where I obtained the addresses for the siblings that moved to England.  The information on his army record says 'son of John and Margaret Frain of Doogerra, Ballyvary, Co. Mayo.
Thanks
Pat

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
I had a quick look on internet http://www.castlebar.ie/news/article_2781.shtml explains the book and there isare email addresses  for P J Clarke and Michael Feeney who gathererd the information.
It might be worth contacting thenm to see if it is your Thomas who is inscribed on the memorial.
As I said it is a beautiful spot. My cousins who live a few miles away didn't even know that our relative was remembered there as he had been in Merchant navy and his boat had been torpedoed. That just has his name there but CWGC gives his parents details too- like your Thomas.

regards
heywood

Offline Nurmal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood
I contacted PJ Clarke and Thomas is in the book
Thanks
Pat

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 18:15 BST (UK) »
That's great news- well the memorial is fitting and a lovely place.  :)

Offline Nurmal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cloonconlan resident
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 08:58 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Bridget Frain (b c1880) who moved to Cloonconlan near Straide between 1911 and 1915.  This was possibly as a result of marriage.  BMD searches have not come up with a marriage or name of spouse.  Her parents were John and Margaret Frain from Carrownaraha, Ballyvary.  There is a full posting regarding this Frain family on the discussion board.

Moderator's Comment: merged with existing thread

Offline Yllek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 January 15 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Was looking through the Internet for information on Thomas Frain and cane across your post. I am Bridget Frains Granddaughter.

Offline Cowboy Dan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 00:04 BST (UK) »
The link for Mayo Memorial PeacePark org sends one to a site focused on HGH and appears they are selling growth hormones. (New link updated)

If there's a better link, please let us know.

Thanx