Author Topic: Birth entry - Swindells Stockport  (Read 2522 times)

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth entry - Swindells Stockport
« on: Wednesday 11 August 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find an entry for Emma or Emily Swindells b 1843 in Bramall/Stockport to Thomas and Jemima Swindells (formerly Pott)?  This is based on 1851 census information.

I previously searched on FreeBMD and got a certificate for an Emma in 1845 but the parents were wrong.

best regards,  rchadz  :)
Names: angus, arnold, chadderton, colley, farrow, fletcher, hobson, hyde, lees, pyle, roberts, swindells

Areas:  Oldham, Aberdeen (Scot) & Otley Yorks

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Birth entry - Swindells Stockport
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
On Cheshire BMD they are grouped into 1840-45 and there are half a dozen Emma Swindells including one in Stockport First, mother Hodgkinson. I tried looking for sister Jane and she popped up right away with mother Pott, but not Emma, sorry,claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline HOWMUCH

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello
On free BMD September quarter 1843 there is an Emma SWINDELLS registered in Chorlton . This area covers Levenshulme and therefore close to Stockport.

Have you seen the two entries on IGI (family search) re Emily SWINDELLS born 1843 Bramall,Stockport . One mentioning a marriage to a Charles MATTHEWS in Sept quarter 1865 at Heaton Norris . This is an area of Stockport and subsequent death of Emily December quarter 1883 aged 40 yrs in Stockport . However these are not extracted entries but records submitted so need verification .

If you want to send for any certificates then I always find it best to tell them only to send the certificates if it matches the information you have supplied to them and this may save you a few bob.
Good luck anyway
Eric :)

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eric and Clayton,

Since I am in New Zealand it is a little harder to figure this out.  I have the reference for her sister Jane on the Cheshire BMD, but since I am not sure how to order Cheshire records I then have to look for the same certificate from the GRO. Is there a simple conversion tool to make sure I order the right certificate?

Also, I think that one of the Macclesfield entries is correct for Emma since Macclesfield is closer to Stockport than Chorlton.  I may end up having to order a few certificates to get the right one.  I am grateful for your suggestion Eric, this may keep the cost down.

Regards, rchadz :)
Names: angus, arnold, chadderton, colley, farrow, fletcher, hobson, hyde, lees, pyle, roberts, swindells

Offline HOWMUCH

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hello rchadz
Sorry I cannot help you regarding online certificates as I generally download a form from the respective registrars office and include all my information , then post it.
I do not know whether you can do that online . Sorry.
Eric

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
To order a certificate from the GRO you need the GRO reference, which I think you should find on freeBMD. You need the year, the quarter of the year,(Mar, Jun, Sep or Dec) the number of the district and the page number. Then there is a bit you can fill in to specify parents' names. I think that's all. You have to register at the GRO and have a password, but it's ok after that.claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 August 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi rchadz,

There is no conversion between the local register office indexes such as www.cheshirebmd.org.uk & www.lancashirebmd.org.uk and the central GRO indexes referenced from www.freebmd.org.uk - and you will need to order certificates from either the central or local offices - they cannot cross reference the two sources.

You can use http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/ to look at which district an event would be registered in and this might help you to decide.

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline rchadz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 January 11 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, i will see how this turns out.