Author Topic: COMPLETED - Hartburn - Potter family  (Read 7983 times)

Offline DaveM888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Hartburn - Potter family
« on: Wednesday 11 August 10 15:47 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where I can get Hartburn parish transcripts for pre 1800, I have managed to get a lot out of the Durham Transcripts but they start 1777. IGI has identified some earlier(1720-1740) potters in hartburn but I cannot link them to those I have found afterwards. I have a George Potter I know was born in Hartburn circa 1766, he married an Elleanor WHinham in 1785 in Hartburn
Dave
Moat, Potter, Seddon,Routledge, Sutton, Holliday,Bestford, Allison, Allen/Allan, Lascelles, Forster, Dudgeon, Collett, Wills

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Hartburn - Potter family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
According to genuki there are transcripts at Newcastle Library and, of course, the microfilms of the original parish records are at Woodhorn archives (they start in 1672).  Genuki also says that IGI cover the whole period you are looking at.

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/Hartburn/ChurchRecords.html

If you are still stuck in a few days pm me as I am usually at Woodhorn on Wednesdays and can have a quick look for you.

Christine

Offline DaveM888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:50 BST (UK) »
I have so much information but cannot connect the dots because of missing events, hope you can understand the following:

Hartburn events for Potter

Marriage
Edward Potter and Thomasin Browel 25/5/1749
John Potter and Mary Thompson 4/11/1756 (Given dates what is likelihood John and Edward are brothers)
Samuel Potter and Mary Hedley 17/4/1771 (Who is Samuel's father? possibly John or Edward)
Elizabeth Potter and John Rochester 31/5/1774 (Who is Elizabeth's father?possibly John or Edward)
George Potter and Eleanor Whinham 30/01/1785 who is George's father? possibly John or Edward)

Births
Ann Potter daughter of Edward and Thomasin 2/7/1751
Thomas Potter son of Edward and Thomasin 22/1/1754
Thomas Potter son of John and Mary 1/9/1757
Thomas Potter son of John and Mary 11/9/1757

Robert Potter son of Mathew and Mary Hedley 5/3/1769  (What is the likelihood that Mathew is Samuel? see marriages)

Thomas Potter son of Mathew and Mary Mackey 23/7/1776 (cannot find marriage and who is Mathews father?)
Joseph Potter son of George and Eleanor 2/4/1786
Mary daughter of George and Eleanor 28/3/1790

Additional questions
Robert was son of Mathew Potter and Mary Hedley, Thomas was son of Mathew Potter and Mary Mackey, did Mathew marry twice and we have no marriage but we do have a marriage for a Samuel Potter and Mary Hedley? Whether Mathew and/or Samuel, who was their father, probably Edward.

George Potter is the key to the family line and therefore would really love to know who was his father. It is odd that there are marriages for John and Edward but few births to follow, certainly nothing for George, Elizabeth or Samuel and/or Mathew
Many Thanks....Dave
Moat, Potter, Seddon,Routledge, Sutton, Holliday,Bestford, Allison, Allen/Allan, Lascelles, Forster, Dudgeon, Collett, Wills

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
The baptism of Robert,  bapt 5 Mar 1769 says illeg. son of Mary Hedley, singlewoman and Matthew Potter a single man both of Longwitton.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DaveM888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 August 10 16:10 BST (UK) »
There are only two Samuel Potters I can find in Northumberland at the time One was born 1755 in Mitford, the other 1746 in Long Framlington, the latter being the more likely noting his father was called Mathew. So probably no link to the other Hartburn Potters.
Although that said Mitford is nearer to Hartburn and Long Witton. So perhaps a young Samuel although baptised in 1755 could be a little older would be 14-15 in 1769 could have been the father and that is why they were not married until later and for whatever reason a Mathew Potter stood in as father at the baptism. The Mitford Samuel's father was a John
Dave

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I had a ‘wander’ around Hartburn parish records today - said hello to a few of my ancestors in passing!  There’s not much to add to what you already know but here goes.

Firstly I couldn’t find a baptism  for George Potter anywhere between 1760 and 1770.  Do you have anything specific which leads you to this date and place?

I checked out the baptisms you listed above.  Edward and Thomasin, John and Mary were all living in Longwitton when their children were baptised.  Hartburn is a wide-ranging parish which takes in many villages and, fortunately for us, the baptism records give the village which does help to sort things out.

Of the two dates you have for Thomas son of John and Mary the second one is correct (11/9/1757)

Robert Potter, as Janis says, was illegitimate but so was Thomas which explains why you couldn’t find a marriage for Matthew and Mary Mackey.  The record reads ‘Illegitimate son of Matthew Potter and Mary Mackey of South Witton’

George and Eleanor were living in Hartburn itself when Joseph was baptised and their abode is given as Grainge on Mary’s baptism record.

Not much yet but it all adds to the picture.

Christine

Offline janwhin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 August 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
According to the baptism of twins to George and Eleanor in Felton in 1799, George is a native of Snitter, Rothbury Parish.
I know that Eleanor was baptised in 1763 at Edlingham, so George would be a similar age or possibly older. There is a baptism of George son of Thomas Potter of Snitter, in Rothbury on 14 June 1754.
My interest lies with Hounam/Whinham.
Hope that helps you.
There are two of us researching our respective families ...

Northumberland: Whinham/Hounam; Gray; Beverley; Common; Henderson; Cairns; Gair.
Durham: Peverley.
Hertfordshire: Bassill; Saban; Wheatley.
Suffolk: Albrow; Goddard; Hurren; Leman.
Thames Watermen & Lightermen: Rice.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 August 10 23:46 BST (UK) »
Three cheers for the Bishop of Durham (Shute Barrington that is) and his insistance on including genealogical detail in the baptism records!

Welcome to rootschat, Janwhin  :D

Christine

Offline janwhin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 August 10 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome! It's just a shame that the methodology wasn't adopted from 1813. I always enjoy tracking register entries in the "golden period".

Janet
There are two of us researching our respective families ...

Northumberland: Whinham/Hounam; Gray; Beverley; Common; Henderson; Cairns; Gair.
Durham: Peverley.
Hertfordshire: Bassill; Saban; Wheatley.
Suffolk: Albrow; Goddard; Hurren; Leman.
Thames Watermen & Lightermen: Rice.