Author Topic: Giblin family of Roosky  (Read 4500 times)

Offline HelenS100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Giblin family of Roosky
« on: Wednesday 11 August 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the Giblin family who lived in Druminardly, Roosky? I'm particularly interested in Francis Giblin, born 1894. He emigrated to New York in 1924.
Many thanks!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Giblin family of Roosky
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 18:54 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sarahsean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the 1901 census for leitrim roscommon?

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml  It has a few Giblin`s mentioned if you scroll down the page.

My husbands family are from Rooskey and lots of his relations also emigrated to the US, NY area.  

My husband will be visiting Rooskey in the next few weeks if he takes any photographs of the area i will be willing to pass them on.  

Regards
Sarah
Dowding
Hall
Butt

Offline HUGHEEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen:

Absolutely interesting.  The names and times are right on.  I heard my father talk of each of them and met Patrick in Dublin in 1975.  And his daughter who might well be still living. 

I heard my father speak of Francis and also being in prison.  Recently I bought a book which exhaustively details the Roscommon Volunteers and all their experiences from 1916-1923.  Its called "They Put The Flag a=Flyin and is by a lady names Kathleen Hegarty Thorne who did tremendous research.  The book is over 500 pages with many photos and cost $50 or so.  Patrick and my father are listed in certain squads and it has my father going to prison for a year and a half.

I'm considering a trip to Ireland and would welcome any thoughts or ideas.
I want to visit the Famine Museum in Strokestown.  I went to both my mother's (Ballingare) and father's homes when I was in Ireland in 1975.

And thanks to Aghadowey for her item I will follow it up and any others also.

regards,

Hugh Giblin

Ps  Three women were also in the family my Aunt Kate and Margaret.  Another Helen died rather young in the US

Offline HelenS100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Hugh,
Well this is fantastic news, I can't tell you how excited I am to have found a son of Hugh! I always wondered what happened to your father, but never found any evidence that he married or had children. And I was just messing about with Google yesterday when your post was listed, so it's pure chance that I found you here.
I have lots and lots of info about the various Giblins, including my version of a family tree, which I would be delighted to share with you - you probably know more than me of course! They are a very interesting family!
I think there might be a word limit here, so I'll finish for now and try to attach my family tree. It will be in PDF format.
Great to hear from you!

Offline HelenS100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hello sarahsean,

Thank you for your reply! I have checked these census documents before, they're excellent pieces of information.
I shall be in Roosky next Saturday, with my mother and my aunt - is there anything you'd like me to look up for you? We'll be heading up there via Athlone, and then on towards Druminardly and Kilglass.

Thanks again,

Helen

Offline HelenS100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 August 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Aghadowey,

Thank you also for your reply. Yes, these fascinating documents concern the correct people.

By the way, I hope I'm replying in the right way - I'm not sure if it's possible to direct a reply to a particular person.
This is a really great site though, and I'd never heard of it before!

Thanks again,

Helen

Offline sarahsean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 August 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Thanks for your kind offer. I hope you enjoy your visit. I`ve only driven through Roosky but it looked very pretty it is on the river.  There is nothing i want looking up at present as my husband and his granny will be going to Roosky soon and can do it themselves.

take care
Sarah
Dowding
Hall
Butt