Author Topic: Martin Tierney - St Louis, Missouri - arrived late 1800's  (Read 9768 times)

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin Tierney - St Louis, Missouri - arrived late 1800's
« on: Thursday 12 August 10 00:35 BST (UK) »
My grand-uncle, Martin Tierney  settled in St Louis, Missouri, in the late 1800's (his brothers Thomas and Michael settled in Newport, Kentucky, and Cincinnatti, Ohio around the same time).  A sister, Mary and her husband John Joyce, also settled in Newport, Kentucky.  Before heading to the USA, all three brothers went to England - sometime between the early 1860s and late 1870's.  They were born in Co Galway, Ireland - townland Belmont (located in Addergoole parish as it was known then - the modern parish of Milltown).  I've been able to get a lot of information on Thomas, Michael, and Mary on familysearch.org and related site pilot.familysearch.org - census data, and marriage, death records etc

At this stage, the information I'm searching for relates to Martin in particular.  He married an english girl called Mary ?? and they went to the USA.  Again, my guess is that the marriage took place sometime in the 1860s to late 1870's period.... the information I have is that the marriage took place before they went to the USA - I'm assuming they got married in England (rather than Ireland).

Martin Tierney and his wife Mary had two children (Martin Joseph and James Thomas) but I have no idea if either of them were born in England or in the USA.

Martin Joseph was married twice (but I dont have the name of either wife), and it appears that they didn't have any children.  James Thomas married Edith Skirving and had 2 children - W Granville Tierney and Jessie Beatrice Tierney (who died aged 13).  Note that I was able to find details of the Thomas Tierney + Edith Skirving marriage on familysearch.org.....but nothing else of note.

W Granville Tierney married Mildred Cobb - 2 Children - Thomas Cobb Tierney (who married Patrica Morphew - 3 children - Matthew, Andrew, and Paige Tierney).

The second son of W Granville Tierney and Mildred Cobb is James G Tierney (married Shirley Andrish - 3 children - Theodore, Michael, Mary).

The above information is contained in a family tree that was compiled in the early 1980's.

I'd love to find out the name of the lady Martin Tierney married, where she was from etc.  I'd imagine that the UK is the most likely source of this information.  But, if I had census, death, immigration and other records for Martin and Mary during their lives in the USA, then I'd have something concrete to work with if I ever get a chance to pursue her English origins.

Hope someone out there can help.

Kind regards,
Ballyheeragh

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Tierney - St Louis, Missouri - arrived late 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 August 10 00:45 BST (UK) »
US census and some Missouri, Kentucky and Ohio records here:

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 August 10 00:54 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for a death certificate at the Missouri Government site:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/deathcertificates/

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 10 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Erato and Genealiza,
Thanks for the replies above.

From my searches of pilot.familysearch, it seems that not much census data for Missouri has been recorded in the database (when compared to Ohio) so far.

I've checked the death records (just now), and they returned 3 records for Martin Tierney deaths in the 1910 to 1959 period...at least 2 of the 3 death records, I'd uncovered before.  The names of the parents and/wives dont match up for those 3 cases, so I'm out of luck so far.

I may just have to wait until some online census records start to appear for St Louis.

Going back to the other names I mentioned in my initial post.... are names such as Cobb, Andrish, Morphew and Skirving common in Missouri (or throughout the USA)?

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 10 02:24 BST (UK) »
What additional census data are you waiting for?  The 1910 census transcription at FamilySearch is incomplete.  I don’t know if St. Louis has been done or not.  I would think that the 1880 and 1900 censuses are as complete in St. Louis as they are in Ohio.  Ancestry does not offer any Missouri state censuses for the late 1800s, at least not for St. Louis. 
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:07 BST (UK) »
You've given a great deal of information already...thank you.

If you have them, can you provide birth years (especially for Martin, Sr).
Finding lots of Martin Tierney information, and this would help to pin him down, so to speak.

Regards,
Grub
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Bally
1920 US census, Oklahoma, Muskogee shows:
TIERNEY
James, 39, b England, father b Ohio?, mother born Philadelphia
Edith, 36, wife, born Illinois, parents born Scotland
Granville, 17, son, b Kansas
also in the household:
Jessie SKIRVING, mother in Law, 75??, b Scotland.

In 1885, she is with her parents in Greene, Iowa.

In 1900 US census, Edith (17) is at home with her parents Jesse and William in Ross Cherokee, Kansas.

Not yet finding the family on other census, but then, I ran out of time. :D

I know this doesn't help with your search for Mary's maiden name...but...

Regards,
Grub
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ballyheeragh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 August 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Grub,

Thanks very much for your searches.....I'm away from my usual computer, so I dont have my bundle of data with me.  Martin was one of a family of 8.  The info I have is that his parents (Patrick Tierney and Nora (Honora) Hession got married in the 1850's in Ireland.  Church records are the only reliable guide for births for a lot of people born before "Official" records were started in Ireland.  I have church records for the baptism of some of his brothers and sisters, so my guess is is that he was one of the early children in the family......yet based on the "inconsistent" ages of some of his brothers and sisters, its possible that Patrick Tierney and Nora (Honora) Hession may have got married in the late 1840's, so Martin may have been born anytime between approx 1845 and 1855...I realise that is a fairly wide timeframe - maybe his parents names are helpful?

If you get a chance, let me know the sources of any possible matches that you find.  When I mentioned the names of his grandchildren etc, I was hoping that someone familiar with those names might spot them!  Thanks again for your help.

Ballyheeragh.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 August 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
I'm sending you a Private Message concerning possible living relatives.