Author Topic: You know you're addicted to Genealogy when ....  (Read 119905 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: You know you're addicted to Genealogy when ....
« Reply #567 on: Thursday 19 October 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Also you look up people you or your wife used to know to if they married or died
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Lensmeister

• RootsChat Veteran
  • https://neilsfhsite.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: Thursday 19 October 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
You are helping a large organisation  find dead footballers DOB and DODs while your family is on the backburner, but still look at ALL the other names in the Death Notices hoping to find a connection

I have a few Whitby players you can find mate :) LOL
Hugkulstone: All
All Surname Interests here: https://neilsfhsite.wordpress.com/surnames-and-areas/

All Whitby football related research:
https://wtfchistoryhome.wordpress.com/

Austrian Genealogy Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272740293132370

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: Monday 23 October 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
You have to tell a relative that white Americans are not an ethnicity. Hilary Clinton was on The One Show and her DNA was said to be mainly English and Welsh. A rellie said "I bet she was thinking she thought she was supposed to be an American". I told her that white Americans are European in ancestry. Elvis' dad Vernon Presley was being interviewed once in 1956 when his son was by then really famous and Vernon and was told he had an old English name and he was surprised. He said "I never heard tell of any of my kinfolk coming over from anywhere. It seems we have always been here in America" He then said "Then again the English connection must have been a long way back". Some people do forget their roots. Babs Windsor was shocked when she found a Suffolk link in her East End ancestry. London was a honeypot for tens and tens of thousands of East Anglians once.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 08:58 BST (UK) »
You have to tell a relative that white Americans are not an ethnicity. Hilary Clinton was on The One Show and her DNA was said to be mainly English and Welsh. A rellie said "I bet she was thinking she thought she was supposed to be an American". I told her that white Americans are European in ancestry. Elvis' dad Vernon Presley was being interviewed once in 1956 when his son was by then really famous and Vernon and was told he had an old English name and he was surprised. He said "I never heard tell of any of my kinfolk coming over from anywhere. It seems we have always been here in America" He then said "Then again the English connection must have been a long way back". Some people do forget their roots. Babs Windsor was shocked when she found a Suffolk link in her East End ancestry. London was a honeypot for tens and tens of thousands of East Anglians once.

I have to say I was surprised by just how many different places my ancestors came from.  I had known that my 2 grandfathers came from very different places before I started but I now seem to have covered most counties in Scotland and with the other half of my daughters tree a good number of English counties too.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
sorry nothing to do with the "topic"

But!...someone may get a giggle

According to a report in Extra TV, genealogy experts say Donald Trump and Hillary Rodham Clinton — the front-runners for the Republican and Democratic presidential nomination — share a common ancestor from England 18 generations ago.

Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
I would think many Americans share a common ancestor from England.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
You know your addiicted to Genealogy

When you stand at your Great Grandfathers Grave and promise him a beer..if he will tell you where his Father is buried..

I may never find where my GG Grandfather is buried..but hope that DNA will help

Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
maybe Yonks Ago if you bring him a beer he'll tell you!!!

You know you're addicted when your 9-5 job is nothing to do with genealogy but your colleagues give you genealogy queries from their friends and relatives!!!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 10:11 BST (UK) »
My Luck,

knowing my mob..he will take the beer..and then not tell you

Yonks