Author Topic: You know you're addicted to Genealogy when ....  (Read 119949 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: You know you're addicted to Genealogy when ....
« Reply #576 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
Truth serum - just saying...
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline centrehalf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
you should stop .... even though there is nothing else to find.

I am only interested in going back to all great great grandparents. There are only 7 great grandparents - one is unknown because of illegitimacy.

I found all birth, marriage, death info and all census entries for each. Nothing further to find methinks. All ordinary hard working families. Time to stop.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
No you're missing out on so much
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
Keep going! don't stop! Look at siblings, and marry-ins. It's illegal to stop - isn't it?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 17:25 BST (UK) »
Never heard of stopping before  :o

Offline centrehalf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
when I said stopping I mean't stopping because there is nothing further to find out about an ancestor

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
When you go to visit hubby's family and your sister in law gives up all of their mums old family pictures and say's asked everyone in the family who should have them and very one said give them to Anne as she if the family history person in the family..

Soon as I got them I was sitting on the couch and going through them and hubbys will we have lost her now she will be looking at them for hours lol...

Cheers

Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
When you go with your sister and cousin to Birmingham Central Library to look at inquest papers and are virtually in tears as to what happened to your 3 x great grandparents. When you are full of rage when you read that your great great grandfather was thrown into a police cell because a policeman thought he was drunk in the street, he was not drunk he'd had a stroke. The poor mans last hours spent in a cell until they finally sent him to hospital , his pregnant wife at home...........   I wanted to shout outside ' he wasn't b****y drunk' .  Talk about stirring up emotions all these years later.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
you should stop .... even though there is nothing else to find.

I am only interested in going back to all great great grandparents. There are only 7 great grandparents - one is unknown because of illegitimacy.

I found all birth, marriage, death info and all census entries for each. Nothing further to find methinks. All ordinary hard working families. Time to stop.

If I'd stopped at 2x great grandparents I would have missed most of  the interesting ones. My various ordinary working-class 2x GGs had: a 1st cousin who was a high-up cleric and composer whose numerous acquaintances included a duke and a famous architect; same family had titled godparents 3 generations earlier; a father who made 2 appearances before Quarter Sessions in 2 years in his youth; a bankrupt uncle, or maybe more than 1, which might explain how they became working-class; a trade-unionist father at a time when union activities could land a man in prison - he featured in 2 court cases and a report of a meeting to which a certain Karl Marx sent words of encouragement; fathers, grandfathers and great-grandfathers who were eligible to vote, long before the majority of their contemporaries could, even though some were working men (1780s poll-book entry for one survived); ancestors who left wills, some with inventories.
I see my ancestors as a microcosm of 400 years of British & Irish history. Events have impacted their lives from the Reformation to World War Two. Some have helped shape events. Some have been on opposing sides in conflicts, leading to repercussions for later generations. 
I do, however have some not very interesting ancestors with names to match (Davies and Jones). I haven't investigated beyond 3x great-grandparents around 1800.
Cowban