Author Topic: You know you're addicted to Genealogy when ....  (Read 119821 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: You know you're addicted to Genealogy when ....
« Reply #486 on: Saturday 23 July 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
Only recovering addicts would actually admit their addiction. ;)

I would disagree with that on the basis that it is ONLY addictions which are frowned upon such as Drugs, Alcohol, Cigs etc. where people would deny it although know within themselves they are addicted.

I'm addicted to Genealogy but I know it won't put Joe Soap off me so yes I admit it but others with addictions such as Drugs would not admit it for fear of being treated differently or even ignored.

(My personal view)  :P

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: Saturday 23 July 16 20:04 BST (UK) »
This posted on my FB page today.  It so looks like my download folder ;D ;D

3SD..............So it's you who has hacked into my comp  ::)  :P  ;D

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: Monday 25 July 16 16:59 BST (UK) »
You constantly walk to and from the microfilm and fiche machines, make them whir, and then have to sigh quietly when the one you want was rewound backwards, so that the scans are reading backwards, if you get my meaning. Some of the reels were rewound the wrong way.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: Monday 25 July 16 17:08 BST (UK) »
This posted on my FB page today.  It so looks like my download folder ;D ;D

3SD..............So it's you who has hacked into my comp  ::)  :P  ;D

Annie

;D ;D ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: Monday 25 July 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
You know your addicted when you come across someone with an accent from the area of your ancestors....ask them if that's a Newcastle (or whatever area) accent & when they say "yes"...you proceed to ask them if their surname is "whatever the surname is you're researching" & if they say "NO"...you ask if they know anyone by that surname in that area  ;D.........

The names in my tree must be unique as no-one from the mentioned areas has ever heard of any of my surnames  ::)

Annie

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 00:39 BST (UK) »
You know your addicted when you come across someone with an accent from the area of your ancestors....ask them if that's a Newcastle (or whatever area) accent & when they say "yes"...you proceed to ask them if their surname is "whatever the surname is you're researching" & if they say "NO"...you ask if they know anyone by that surname in that area  ;D.........

The names in my tree must be unique as no-one from the mentioned areas has ever heard of any of my surnames  ::)

Annie
This happened to me years ago, with the man sitting next to me on a bus in Dublin, each time this man heard an accent from Kildare he asked the person if they knew where Blacktrench was, not only did I know the place he was trying to find but we were related, I got his address and sent him the details my mother supplied. Sadly I left his address in my wallet which was pinched a few months later, he had replied but hadn't put his address on the letter.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
Again, feeling like your life is over when you are back to square one after finding a very inconvenient burial or marriage of someone who you thought was an ancestor. You think he must be your rellie as he did not marry in the parish of baptism. You then hear alarm bells ringing when you find a marriage to a different spouse in another parish in the county, which is not your ancestral parish, and worry, you Google the parish, hoping it is the opposite end of the county but no, it is a neighbouring parish. Lt Joe Kenda, a American former cop says he hates coincidences. I so do as well, they do happen I know but they are so annoying. Kenda says he will not stop until a case is solved, and he must have the same mind as me, just mine is genealogy.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: Saturday 30 July 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
You know you're addicted to genealogy when the purpose of your visit to Cambridge is NOT to admire the colleges and their beautiful gardens, or to take a trip along the Backs or up to Grantchester through the meadows, but to climb Castle Hill ... and your reason for climbing Castle Hill is not to survey the vista of the city from the ancient Norman castle mound, but to descend into a cellar and pore over ancient, dusty tomes ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline patty38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: Saturday 30 July 16 21:04 BST (UK) »
You hear a conversation about trees and assume its family trees, not the wood and leaf variety. Happened to me recently very embarrassing  ;D.

Patty
BRIGGS especially WILLIAM b. 1839 MY GREAT GRANDFATHER and MY BRICK WALL.

Richardson - Northumberland and Durham
Briggs - Durham and Sth Wales
Proud, Chapman - Durham and North Yorkshire
Hetherington - Cumberland/Northumberland and Durham
Eeles - Durham
Blair, Herd - Scotland
Murphy, McKenna, Connery - Ireland
also - Corps - Wear - Hutchinson & Fawell .