Author Topic: John Jordan born 1816 in Milford, Pembroke  (Read 11511 times)

Offline radnor1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Jordan born 1816 in Milford, Pembroke
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Yes I would love to see the photos.  You are the only person related to the Jordan's that I have been in contact with as my grandmother died a month after my father was born and as she was an only child (her brother died as a baby) all contact with that side of the family was lost.

They did live in Leamington Spa.  Rev Albert Jordan and Frances Amelia Jordan got married in St Mary's Church Leamington Spa.  She was living at Beaconsfield House, Russell Terrace, Leamington, Warwiskshire at the time.

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 06 June 20 18:50 BST (UK) »
My link with the JORDANs is through the SCURLOCKS.  My mother has a DNA match with descendants of William Lachlan JORDAN who was the son of Richard JORDAN and Margaret SCURLOCK.  We are descendants of Margaret SCURLOCK's brother William SCURLOCK born in 1790. 

William Lachlan JORDAN died in Tasmania in 1869 but I cannot find a record of his baptism.  He was said to have been born around 1800 but if that is the case he could not have been the son of Margaret SCURLOCK as she was only born in 1793.  I would have thought that a birth of 1810 or after was more likely.  William refers to his father Richard JORDAN in his will but he is not actually named in his father Richard's will.  Richard lists 3 children - Eliza, Charles and John.  I haven't found any trace of Charles so wondered if Charles might have been William Lachlan JORDAN and his name was changed.  Alternatively Charles died young or disappeared overseas.

Sister Eliza JORDAN married James LLOYD and brother John JORDAN married Anne Elizabeth ORMOND as other RootsChatters have already said.  Their mother Margaret SCURLOCK married William JOHN and had another daughter Caroline.

I hope this is of interest.

Best wishes

Carol (Scurlockgirl)

Offline radnor1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 13 June 20 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Scurlockgirl

I was contacted from someone in Tasmania some years back saying that William Lachlan Jordan was Richard Jordan's son.  I have tried to find out if this is true but have been unable to find any connection.  You say William mentions Richard in his will! this I did not know, does he mention any other relatives still in Wales?.

As for him being the son of Margaret that is not possible as he was born in 1800/1. but he could be the son of her mother/sister/aunt as you have a DNA match.

I have also failed to find any information about Richard's son Charles born 1820.

Radnor1

Offline SarahShip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Jordan born 1816 in Milford, Pembroke and Scurlocks
« Reply #30 on: Friday 29 January 21 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Either my sister or myself from down here in Tasmania contacted posted here some years ago. We are descended from WillIam Lachlan Jordan, one of four  children of Richard Jordan.  Have quite a bit of info on --our search for his baptism which we cannot find. Definately not daughter of Margaret.

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 30 January 21 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find the baptism of William Lachlan JORDAN for some time, with no success.  I have searched for a William JORDAN, William LACHLAN, William SCURLOCK, William anything c1800 in Pembrokeshire.

Some people on Ancestry have him as the son of Margaret SCURLOCK and Richard JORDAN but this cannot be possible if he was born around 1800 and Margaret born in 1793.  Certainly there is a baptism for Margaret SCURLOCK in Burton, Pembrokeshire on 1st September 1793 to William SCURLOCK and Mary JONES.

My family is descended from William SCURLOCK baptised at Burton on 17th January 1790 in Burton.  He was Margaret SCURLOCK's elder brother and married Elizabeth LEWIS in Steyton in 1811.  Richard JORDAN was the bondsman.  This Richard JORDAN is said to be the father of William Lachlan JORDAN.  My mother has a DNA match with descendants of William Lachlan JORDAN, but to our knowledge we have no blood ties with the JORDANs.  This means that the connection must be through the SCURLOCK-LEWIS link, the SCURLOCK-JONES link or from our SCURLOCK-VENABLES link or through another link entirely.

William Lachlan JORDAN mentions his father Richard JORDAN in his will but does not mention any siblings.  Richard JORDAN does not mention William Lachlan JORDAN in his will and only refers to 3 children - Eliza, John and Charles, in addition to their mother Margaret.  What happened to Charles I do not know but Eliza and John married and had children of their own.  Why was there no mention of William in Richard's will?  Had William already received an inheritance from Richard JORDAN or did Richard JORDAN not acknowledge William as his son at the time? 

Further searches on the National Library of Wales recently have not given me any further clues and I am yet to find a marriage for Richard JORDAN.  I am also unable to find any birth or marriage information for his sister Dorothy.  I am left with still further questions.

Offline SarahShip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 30 January 21 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi  I am grt-grt-grandson of William Lachlan Jordan and have run out of places to look for his baptism. Really interested to see the Scurlock DNA matches with his descendants. William certainly had lots of contact with his welsh relatives and returned there a few times.
 You have been in contact with my sister Helen.
Am convinced that William is illegitimate. We know he was living in Inverness Scotland shortly before he came out to Tasmania in 1831.
Always thought his mothers name could be Eliza.  William named his first son William Henry Richard Jordan. His father in law was Henry,  and his father was Richard. If you assume he used the same premise on his his first daughter - Charlotte Eliza Jordan, then as his mother in law was Charlotte it would make sense that Williams mother was Eliza.
Are there any Eliza Scurlocks that might fit in here?
Another long shot but given we all seem to have exhausted every other possibke source then its all we have.
Only other possible source may be that as William Lachlan Jordan was a Master Tailor, and thus one would assume he was apprenticed at some point, and quite often these docs include a baptism record.
The DNA link is a vital clue here  and certainly ties William to the Scurlocks - but how?

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 31 January 21 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Regarding William Lachlan Jordan naming his daughter after his mother and mother in law, I think it is highly likely. 

In the generation before Margaret SCURLOCK there was her father Joseph SCURLOCK who married Mary JONES.  I believe this Joseph was one of several brothers but I have not confirmed any sisters he might have had so I don't know if there was an Eliza.  I think these SCURLOCKs were probably baptised in Rosemarket but the parish register for these years is no longer extant.

I was wondering if there is any more about William Lachlan JORDAN's life before he arrived in Tasmania.  Are there any additional references to his father Richard JORDAN?  I cannot find any reference to him on the Scotland's People website, even if he was in Inverness at some point.  The middle name Lachlan certainly sounds Scottish in origin.

Interestingly there is another DNA match with my mother on Ancestry who has links with Ottery St Mary in Devon.  They also match with a descendant of William Lachlan Jordan but the tree is private.  My mother's paternal line is from Devon and I note Louisa BASTONE has ancestors from Ottery St Mary, just as my family do.  This is making me think that perhaps the DNA connection is actually on Louisa's side, or maybe there is a DNA match on both sides.

Offline SarahShip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 01 February 21 10:22 GMT (UK) »
We have two Scottish references . One of Richard Jordans sisters, Anne, married a David Brown, described as "of Scotland".
In a letter from William to the government here, he describes how he left Inverness to go to London so as to emigrate. Thats it I'm  afraid. Agree that the name Lachlan is very Scottish and not a name you would normally associate with Wales. After 35 years searching im just hoping that Ancestry or the likes will digitise some obscure records and there he will be 😊😆
Regards John

Offline scurlockgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cox of Newbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 01 February 21 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Do you have a date or further details of Anne JORDAN's marriage?  She is not mentioned in Richard's will, only a sister called Dorothy.  Again I haven't found a baptism for Dorothy JORDAN either.

Regards

Carol