Author Topic: 89th regiment 0f foot  (Read 6226 times)

Offline Paule162

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 89th regiment 0f foot
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 September 13 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi... I am sorry but i am a little new to this and i am trying to research the name Dessington.

I have been researching one of my ancestors by the name of Elizabeth Christina Dessington (1867), and her sibling Walter Dessington ( date not known).
They were the children of John and Elizabeth Dessington. Records show John Was a Corporal of 89th Foot regiment based in Carlow (COI). From family conversation i am led to believe that he later became Sargent and he and his family were posted to India.

Is there any way i can trace this record of his time in the army and posting to India. I also am led to believe that he and his wife also died and were buried in India (possibly Bangalore but not confirmed).

Their two children believed to have returned to the UK.

Im not sure where i need to research this info on john and his family so help and guidance would be appreciated as most of my searches have bought up zero results.

Again apologies if i post in the wrong section

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 September 13 03:34 BST (UK) »
hi,,i cant see a service/pension record for him....but if he died in service,,,his record would have been destroyed.
there is a mention in the 1861 army index,this just tells you where he was stationed

John Dessington   number 306   89th foot    stationed at Umballa,India.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 September 13 03:48 BST (UK) »
there is this Walter Dessington in the 1901 census in Wrexham

Walter Dessington b 1870   coal miner  b Ireland
Edith  Dessington  b 1870                    b Ffrith, Denbigh,

if he is Johns son,,,then he could have been born when his father was serving in Ireland.

there is a birth in the army birth index

Ambrose W Dessington

b 1870 Mitchelstown,Ireland    father was in the 89th foot   volume 1339  page 29

I wonder if the full name was Ambrose Walter Dessington?

there is also a birth of a Priscella Dessington in 1865  place unknown  to a father in the 89th foot.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 September 13 03:59 BST (UK) »
there is adeath reference for a

Ambrose W Dessington in the j/f/m  quarter of 1960 in Wrexham    age  89

this tends to suggest that the chap in the 1901 census was Ambrose W Dessington,,,and that he was therefore the chap in the army birth index,,,,you could order his birth certificate from the GRO,,this would confirm his fathers name.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 September 13 04:06 BST (UK) »
Walter Dessington  married Edith Hughes in 1900,,registered at Chester  o/n/d quarter  vol 7a  p 747

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 September 13 04:36 BST (UK) »
looks like John Dessington died in 1877 in Bengal.India  age 41,,,so b c 1836

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGGZ-92D

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 September 13 05:07 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth died in 1874 in Bangalore

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG5C-QLM

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 September 13 05:34 BST (UK) »
you could purchase 15 credits on the rootsireland website and view Ambrose Walter Dessingtons baptism

http://corknortheast.rootsireland.ie/quis.php?page=1&confirmPageView=Y

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 September 13 05:39 BST (UK) »
you probably have this   Eiza Christiana Dessington  baptism

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/7f5d770005432