Author Topic: Offer: Llangollen Area  (Read 9544 times)

Offline APotts1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Offer: Llangollen Area
« on: Sunday 03 April 05 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I was born in Llangollen and still live and work in the area. I have the 1841 Denbighshire census on disk I could look up if anyone needs. Also if it is of any help I can take digital Photo's of any Graves or dwellings or views if anyone requires? I also travel up the Ceiriog valley a lot so could get pics from that area.
Hope this is of help to someone
Allan

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llangollen Area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 05 09:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your kind offer.However would i be correct in saying that there are large parts,particularly in the Cefn Mawr/Rhosymedre areas that are missing?

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline APotts1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 05 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi William,
Yes you are correct it says on he disk cover The originals of the 1841 census returns in the PRO are missing for several parishes in the county of denbighshire. and goes on to state several townships in the wrexham parish including Erbistock Gresford Holt Marchwiel and Ruabon.
Hope that clears it up a little,
Allan

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 05 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello, Allan.  Thank you for the offer you have posted.  I wonder if you might be able to help me.  I have an Elizabeth Jones, born in Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog c.1839.  She married a Hugh Hughes, a gardener (born c.1829 in Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr) but I haven't been able to track down their marriage certificate (a Hugh Hughes married an Elizabeth Jones in Bangor in 1860, but this seems it bit off track!).  Their children were born in Llangollen:  Catherine ('62), Edward ('65), Annie ('68), Jane (Nov '70) & Hugh ('74).  I am descended from Hugh.  I wondered whether you might be able to find in the 1841 Census Elizabeth aged about 2 in Llanarmon DC or, indeed, Hugh Hughes in Llanfihangel GM aged about 12.

I've traced the family through the 1871-1901 Censuses, but would very much like to get back a generation or two.  Many thanks, Emma Disley
PS  I passed through the Ceiriog valley the other week and was very impressed by its beauty.  Now that I know Elizabeth's maiden name (I've only just traced this), I'll go back to the graveyard and have a look for Joneses.  Those gravestones are very finely engraved.
Anglesey & Denbigh: Hughes,Davies
Berks: Cheeseman,Monger,Hussey
Cornwall: Treloar/Trelowath
Devon: Hamlyn
Essex: Stace, Hummerstone, Dixon
Flint: Hooson
Herts: Woodcock
Kent: Jones, Bayley
Merioneth: Disley
Montgomery: Disley
Salop: Cleobury, Hotchkiss, Glover, Oswell
Suffolk: Howe,Spark,Gridley
Surrey:Street,Knight,Street
Yorks:Rich,Goodlad,Hargreaves
Wilts: Pike,House,Downe,Eyres,Cole,Appleford, Westhall,Cheesmund
London:Dixon,Steel,Planck,Debrauder,Hamlyn
Ireland:Sullivan, Egan

Offline Dizzy Escape

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 05 12:29 BST (UK) »
By the way, Elizabeth was widowed by 1881 and returned with her children to Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog, where she farmed at 'Cwm Canol'.  I can't help wondering whether this was a farm that had been in her family.
Anglesey & Denbigh: Hughes,Davies
Berks: Cheeseman,Monger,Hussey
Cornwall: Treloar/Trelowath
Devon: Hamlyn
Essex: Stace, Hummerstone, Dixon
Flint: Hooson
Herts: Woodcock
Kent: Jones, Bayley
Merioneth: Disley
Montgomery: Disley
Salop: Cleobury, Hotchkiss, Glover, Oswell
Suffolk: Howe,Spark,Gridley
Surrey:Street,Knight,Street
Yorks:Rich,Goodlad,Hargreaves
Wilts: Pike,House,Downe,Eyres,Cole,Appleford, Westhall,Cheesmund
London:Dixon,Steel,Planck,Debrauder,Hamlyn
Ireland:Sullivan, Egan

Offline elldee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 05 19:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your offer.  Would the census include the Corwen area?  I would be interested to find, if possible, Robert James (46), his wife Catherine (47) and their son Thomas (16).  In 1851 Robert was a farmer at a dwelling called Ty Cerrig somewhere near Corwen (I've got Tir/Llan as part of the area if this helps).

I've been to Llangollen on a few occasions as my mum was born there at Pengwern Square (which was unfortunately a car park the last time I visited - that's progress for you).  There's nothing better on a sweltering hot day like today than dipping your toes in the River Dee.  Bliss!

Thanks, Elldee.
Arthur, James, Jones - North Wales
Herbert, Doyle, Wyse, White - Ireland

Offline JGarratt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 06 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Allen

I hope you can help me, i'm trying to trace the parents of my x4  great grand-father Henry Jones. Henry was born in 1826/27 in Glyn Ceiriog. It is possible that henry comes from a family of stone masons as this trade has followed down through the family.

Later Henry married a Catherine ?? and settled to life in Llangollen, which is where my father's family still live. My great grand parents used to live in Fron Bache Cemetry Cottage, sadly demolished years ago but i do have pictures of them sitting in their much loved garden (sorry rambling on abit now)

Look forward to hearing from you

Jeannette
Davies - Montgomeryshire
Edwards - Selattyn Shropshire
Jones - Llangollen Denbighshire
Harris - Llangollen  Denbighshire/ Cardiganshire
Humphreys - Oswestry / Whittington Shropshire
Pearce - Kent
Gould - Essex / Kent
Phillips - Cefn Mawr
Armstrong - Lincolnshire
Baines - Manchester / Selattyn Shropshire
Kempster - Ruabon / Cefn Mawr
Pugh - Corwen Merionethshire
Wright - Ruabon / Cefn Mawr

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 06 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan

A very kind offer  :)

However.....would I be right in thinking Llanferres and Llanarmon are missing from the 1841?? :(

PS ; Llangollen is a lovely place, my godmother had alot to do with Llangollen Wharf and the barge-horses up until her death a couple of months ago.

Sarah

:)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline spradling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Llangollen Area 1841 census.
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 February 06 21:02 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother, Sarah Ann Jones, was born in Llangollen, Dec 1859 or Jan 1860. She was the daughter of Robert and Caroline Jones who were married in the mid 1850's. I don't have the maiden name of Caroline though in the 1871 census. after the death of her father, Sarah Ann was in Llangollen with the family of John and Sarah Jones. Sarah Ann and John Edwin, siblings, were listed as daughter and son, but it is obvious that isn't true. Caroline is living in Wrexham Abbot. Caroline was born in Llangollen, abt 1839/40.

My request is for census data from 1841 that would reveal Caroline's parents, living in Llagollen.

Thank you, Joan I. Owen