Author Topic: Searching Harold Sladen  (Read 10652 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Harold Sladen
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 August 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
Harold Phillip was a crew member and there a few listings that are probably him.  Some into Canada and others into New York.  The port of New York seemed to always have a list of the crew members of the ships - I'm not sure if this was a requirement for the Canadian ports.  I will look those lists up shortly and post details.  I think I saw on one entry that his address was a seaman's hostel in Montreal - I wonder if that was located on St. Laurent Blvd.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 August 10 17:32 BST (UK) »
Out of the Port of New York there are at least a dozen crew listings.  The information given is not great but it does allow you to see that he did travel the world.  For example he worked on the Canadian Planter which left Aukland March 24, 1923 and arrived New York May 6, 1923.  He was 27, could read, was 5' 8" and 145 lbs, taken on strength Nov 18, 1922 at Montreal and worked as a F & T - another crew's entry read Fireman and Trimmer which is most likely what F & T stands for.

If you're interested send me a PM with your email address and I can send you links to the pertinent entries as it would save me copying information.

Debbie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 August 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
I saw this man on the ww1 signups, with all same information, living on the coast...I'll go get it and put on here

So his full name is Harold Philip Sladen...He was a seaman, living in "Sailor's Home, Halifax, Nova Scotia
signed up in Montreal NOK Edith Hosking,  90 Kensington
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.02-e.php?image_url=http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gat3/103545a.gif

I had found another fellow arriving in 1907 and thought this was he, so an age and full name next time would help us not spin our wheels... 370 Place Royale was once a sailor's hostel...let's see when he shows up in Montreal..CEF signup was 1917...
actually I'll let you search for that...Brmaenda, I gave you all the directory info above...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Brmaenda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 August 10 23:31 BST (UK) »
Debbie, thank you for that.
It feels a little bit like Christmas when I receive these little gifts of knowledge. My email address is (*)    I would greatly appreciate anything you send so I can view the info,and maybe print.I am getting excited now.
Thanks again Debbie.
Ena.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Brmaenda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 August 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
J.J.
Thanks to you for the the information you sent with the site address. I have viewed and printed it. That can now go into my Harold Sladen file , which was almost empty, and start to add a little bulk. I now feel as though I am getting somewhere, with the help of you generous people.
Thank you once more.
Ena.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 August 10 00:11 BST (UK) »
I've noted your email address - you might want to remove it as the moderators will do so if you don't - no one needs to be spammed.  Always exchange emails through the PM system (the scroll button underneath the person's name that becomes green when you're online)

Debbie

Offline Brmaenda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 August 10 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Debbie, that was a Pandora's Box that I received from you. So nice. Thank you also for telling me about the scroll button, obviously that was something I didn't know about!I am always happy to learn. Thanks
Ena.

Offline csladen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 23:20 BST (UK) »
Probably one of those individuals with more than one Christian name as this seems like a good possibility.

The Saskatchewan Sladen family moved into the Kelowna/Salmon Arm area of British Columbia after Harold's death Aug 20 1932 Saanich, BC.  He was s/o John Heath Slader and ? Evans.  Wife Caroline Emma Sladen d. Nov 21, 1978 Kelowna, d/o Edward Chapman and Sarah Evans.  Both were born Salcombe Eng.

Son Harold Cecil Evans Sladen died Kelowna.  This site gives more information on all these deaths.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/09ga/

Added:
Caroline Emma Sladen with Herbert and Harold travelled on the Lake Manitoba from Liverpool to quebec arriving June 19 1911.  Destination Yarbo Sask - to husband, grocer

Debbie

Hi Debbie, This is my family. (Arthur was my grandfather) is there any more information on the family? or do you know where I can look to get it? Thanks

Offline vbain

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 November 10 15:42 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onvsr/
    Name   Date of Birth   Rank     Regimental number(s)   Reference
1.   SLADEN, HAROLD PHILIP
11/09/1895       3185294   RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 8972 - 4

You can find attestation papers at the URL above