Author Topic: Can anyone help please? - Marshall & Militia  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Marko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can anyone help please? - Marshall & Militia
« on: Sunday 03 April 05 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, posted this on Military site but no response so I thought maybe Lincolnshire more fruitful? I am attempting to attach a photo of one of my relatives from many years ago. This photo belongs to my mother and is one of her Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire family from about 1880.
I believe his name was Marshall or Lamb and either came from Belchford - Horncastle way or was from Clayworth -Gainsborough area.
I think the uniform is Militia but I am not sure. I think the gun is either a match or flintlock. The cap badge is visible but not distinct. It may have 45 on it?
The uniform "looks" like American civil war but I doubt it is due to the date.
Any ideas as I have approached several enthusiasts without much luck.
All assistance will be gratefully accepted on gun, cap badge or uniform.
Many many thanks,

Mark
Cornwall,Devon,Lincolnshire,Nottighamshire,Hampshire,Wiltshire,Middlesex
Oliver,Pearce,Marshall,Mitchell,Spencer,Cook,Dance,Richards,Thomas,Poole

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help please? - Marshall & Militia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 April 05 15:43 BST (UK) »
Mark,
a few thoughts on the photo and your notes. The rifle is possibly a 1853 Enfield or a 1867 Snider-Enfield. They look a bit like a flintlock, but were fired with a percussion cap. The hat looks like an 1869/78 pattern shako. The uniform may look like the American Civil War, as many Militia or Volunteer units in the British army around that time dressed in grey with similar piping at the cuffs and collars. As to the "45" it is possible that this was part of the 45th Foot, Nottinghamshire Sherwood Foresters, who were renamed in 1881 the 1st Battalion, Sherwood Foresters. This could all be wrong of course. If you know where he lived, you could always have a look in one of the Directories to see if there was a local Militia unit in the area. That would at least give you a Regimental name to follow up.
Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 April 05 17:08 BST (UK) »
Mark,
Just to add to the notes above, try www.historicaldirectories, select Nottinghamshire, then 1876 Post Office Directory, then input "Militia" into the page search. Page 703, for example shows a Nottingham Depot and the names of some staff.
Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline Marko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 April 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Rod,

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to reply to my request. I am sure a lot of what you say is absolutely correct. Some other gentleman also replied to my request in the Military section on Rootschat and reiterates what you say about the rifle/gun and the shako. The dates all tie up too!!!
I am not sure about the Sherwood Foresters as the cap/shako badge is very different although I believe it does have 45 on it. If you or anyone else can throw light on why this may be I certainly would appreciate it.
I will look up the links you kindly suggest and I will try to find out more and obviously let everyone know what I have found out.
Finally many many thanks again it means so much to me as I may then work out exactly who I am looking at in this photo.
Any other suggestions will be very gratefully accepted.

Cheers & best regards,

Mark
Cornwall,Devon,Lincolnshire,Nottighamshire,Hampshire,Wiltshire,Middlesex
Oliver,Pearce,Marshall,Mitchell,Spencer,Cook,Dance,Richards,Thomas,Poole