Author Topic: Crew List "Waikato" Plymouth - NZ 1877 *COMPLETED*  (Read 20457 times)

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crew List "Waikato" Plymouth - NZ 1877 *COMPLETED*
« on: Sunday 15 August 10 11:25 BST (UK) »
Waikato Sailed Plymouth May 5th 1877 - arrived Lyttelton August 8th 1877

I know the wife and children of Alexander Gollan travelled on this ship.  The transcribed record shows under single women

Single Women
Gollan     Jane     27     Inverness     
           John    2       
           William    4       
Cameron    Agnes    9    Travelling with Gollan

It is believed (family history) Alexander was a ship's carpenter ie part of the crew who came with the ship from Port Glasgow where the family lived but not known whether he worked his passage or jumped ship in Lyttleton.  I have been unable to verify if he was amongst the crew on the ship's log as only passenger lists seem to exist.

A very strange part of our tree; Alexander and Jane had 2 more children in NZ then left their youngest 2 children in the care of friends there and went on to Australia with the two eldest boys (that journey has not been traced).  What is known though is that these two children were never reclaimed by their parents.

The children left in NZ were  both born Lyttleton; Euphemia 1878 and Richard Vickers 1880 I had contact (now lost) through descendants of Richard.

William died in Sydney Hospital, NSW in 1898 aged 26 and is buried in Rookwood Cemetery, but no trace has ever been found of Alexander, his wife Jane nor John.

Alexander Gollan was a brother to the missing John Gollan in Wales and also to my gt grandmother.  Any help with these elusive GOLLANS would be fantastic.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Crew List "Waikato" Plymouth - NZ 1877
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi fifer,

You have probably seen these links but just in case.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=TS18840901.2.20&srpos=10&e=-------10--1----2alexander+gollan--

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=TS18810401.2.18&srpos=11&e=-------10--11----2alexander+gollan--

These may not relate to your man as it seems there was another couple in NZ at around the same time called Alexander and Jane Gollan who arrived on the Gipsy in 1854.
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 10:14 BST (UK) »
Yes these are my Alexander - I believe he emigrated as ship's carpenter on board the Waikato in 1877.  His family are all listed on the passenger list. 

The children were left in care when Alexander went off to work elsewhere but of Jane I can find no trace. 

It would seem strange to me that a mother would leave children so young in the care of another person nor allow their transfer to an orphanage if she were around.  The court case does not mention her, which makes me assume she has died, there are no further births to the couple.

The original story posted was related to me by a descendant of Richard (the youngest child), about 10 years ago when I first started researching my "Gollan" family.  I can punch holes in the story now with the help of online indexes and Paperspast.  But desperately need NZ experienced help in going further.

Of the other son deserted John I can find no trace. 

The daughter left behind Euphemia Gunn Gollan (aka Amy) also got herself "in bother" with the law for passing a dud coin.  In the article she mentions "her mother" which I found odd ........ until that is I found a possible second marriage - for an Alexander Gollan to Beatrice Jessie Maud Hill in 1891 (there is one child of that marriage Annie Agnis Gollan) 

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=TS18940604.2.39&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----2Euphemia+Gollan--

Euphemia "Amy" Gollan also got herself into a bit of bother with a married man Walter Raynard Vallance and had an illegitimate child who was raised by the paternal grandmother it is believed and whose birth was not registered until 1983!!  The child was Edward Tapling Vallance born in 1898.

Because of this affair, subsequent birth and a letter she found his wife divorced him. 

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=MEX19001123.2.31&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----2Walter+Raynard+Vallance--

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=TS19001123.2.38&srpos=2&e=-------10--1----2Walter+Raynard+Vallance--

Euphemia went on to marry George Greaves 3 years later in 1901, had 3 further children by him and died in 1940.

Any help tracing the missing family members Alexander, Jane and John would be much appreciated.  I haven't sent off for any print outs yet as I have also found Alexander Gollans who may be similar ages but middle names do not match up.

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would suggest asking the mods to move your topic to the NZ board where the experts there will have a better chance of seeing it :)
I am sure when they do you will get heaps of help

Leandra
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 07:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks I will ask.

The records for Burnham Industrial School only go to 1883 online and unfortunately that's the year before the 4 children were admitted.  So I am really struggling with this, me being in Scotland!  ::)

Relatives have not been in touch (see the Help! thread on the NZ board) so no further forwards.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry lost with the names you want info on
is it JOHN GOLLAN bn 1855
Bye
Althea

There are earlier Alexander Gollans eg one in Auckland 1850s, so need to watch that you don't get his references.

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
You mentioned above you had lost contact with descendants of Richard
there is a tree on WC
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=eileen_c&id=I062
Bye
Althea

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 20:21 BST (UK) »
Alexander Gollan b 1843 and Jane (Wright) Gollan b 1847 both born Inverness, Scotland.

The Burnham Industrial School records for their 4 children Wm b 1872 John b 1875 both born Scotland and Euphemia b 1878 and Richard Vic[k]ers b 1880 both born NZ.  When the children were admitted to Burnham and when they were released would be brilliant.  Better still if it states anything about the children's mother Jane.  ;D

Only William and Euphemia's deaths have been identified.

LOL that's my tree no longer accurate!  ;D

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 21:25 BST (UK) »