Author Topic: Orphan from ? county Cork with Nuns  (Read 6812 times)

Offline sapphireblue67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Orphan from ? county Cork with Nuns
« on: Sunday 15 August 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone...

I don't have much to go by as it is an unspoken family side and both father and all their relatives are no longer living...

Grandmother was from an Orphanage in Yass NSW Australia...from Orphange records her full name is Mary Harris born 16.8.1910

Apparantly she came to australia when she was 5yrs old with some Nuns (sisters of mercy) from County Cork  Both her parents were deceased

No details of which ship or nuns names so can't do a name search for the nuns

Any pointers as to where to start or details would be greatfully appreciated

Thanks

Sapphire
ENGLAND clarke Lincolnshire, Arthur?, Neighbour, Hardy, Holden, Ringer, Hill, GERMANY Hohmann Vogt, Auer, Metz, IRELAND Fitzgerald

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Orphan from ? county Cork with Nuns
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 August 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
Searching 1911 census for Mary Harris age 1 in Co. Cork gives only a few results. However, she would be less than a year old at the time of the census and people in institutions are listed by initial (search for M H female age 1 in Co, Cork and there are more choices)- not sure if you'll be able to identify the correct one.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DINCUR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 August 10 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi sapphy, Go to google.ie and then 1911 cenus. Type in Mary Harris for all of Ireland. You'll see there are at least 6 or 7 kids that she could have been. Then again she could have had her name changed coming over on the boat. Things were very hush hush back then, especially if the child was born out of marriage. I know the Sisters of Mercy run the Mercy Hospital in the west side of Cork city but will try and find out where their orphanage was. You could also check up on freedom of info. for adopted children but I guess because it is you grandmother there are no rights- but thats just me talking. Get back to you tomorrow. Din

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 August 10 02:38 BST (UK) »
I take it that the orphanage records did not state how she came to be there...?
Would the Sisters of Mercy (I think Yass is part of Goulburn ?diocese?) have any other records, perhaps of the nuns who came over with the children at that time?

Here's their website, in case you don't already have it:
http://www.mercy.org.au/whoweare/iterator.cfm?loadref=56&idx=2

I live "next door" to Yass, and have passed the convent/school up there many times.  If you would like a photograph, let me know  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline sapphireblue67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 August 10 14:31 BST (UK) »
From what I have been able to find out...and follow up research...Mary was an orpan and came on the boat with 5 nuns, from research into that time etc, these nuns were coming over and bringing young orphaned girls over but NOT the boys, haven't found what happened to them yet.

But from the little other snippets of family "stories"and what the research came up with...1911 census 1 of the girls fits in with all info so far...but the spooky bit is...Mary had a TWIN brother brother (yes 1 set of twins have arisen in family but NO ONE else in family has ever known of twins, so where did that come from?)

But on the cencus this one that is right for marys age a twin boy is there, and go one census back, the young family is not at the address but the Older lady is still there...NOW what I have to do, is prove within the next 4 years, those two adults, mother and father of childern were deceased if so, that is the family we are chasing, then question is, what happened to Richard??  And that has been as far as I got with that as the flu hit and then things after that took a busy turn, but I can now look into this more again with a bit of a reduced hectic lifestyle for a while
And YES I would LOVE to know if they have the names of the nuns who came over with the children were as then I could find out which ship and which port she left from and arrived into but I have not heard anything else from Orphange/school, but learning about those sisters back then...brave ladies
Sapphire
ENGLAND clarke Lincolnshire, Arthur?, Neighbour, Hardy, Holden, Ringer, Hill, GERMANY Hohmann Vogt, Auer, Metz, IRELAND Fitzgerald

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 August 10 18:55 BST (UK) »

I think you will find a lot of the Harris family you are looking for on www.irishgenealogy.ie  just put in Harris on the surname search and look at the Kinsale entries. There are also some on www.familysearch.org/records

There is a birth record for a William Harris on 28 Dec 1877 parents William Harris & Catherine Lewis Sponsors John Harris and Johanna Browne.
On the 1901 census William ( Mary's father) is listed at his aunt's address of  33 Fisher Street Kinsale.  William nephew age 23 Fish Merchant Hannah Browne head of house  shopkeeper, and Julia Harris niece age 19 shopkeeper living in a 1st class house.

On the 1911 census William is 33 and his wife Bridget is 38 living with his mother and twins Mary & Richard living there.  William and his mother listed as Publicans.    I had a look for people with name Bridget in  1901 age 28 and there is only one in Kinsale a widow named O'Neill ( married name) and her father's name is Farsey - her place of birth is Co Clare.   It is possible that this Bridget married William.

There is a marriage record for William Harris Kinsale Jan - Mar 1908 ref vol 5 page 164 might be worth getting this record from GRO  (www.gro.ie)

There is a birth record for a Wm Harris July - Sept 1916. ( might be worth considering if he was  a brother to Mary and Richard).

There is a death record for Kinsale for William Harris (possibly the father) Apr - June 1921 est year of birth 1878 age 43 ref for GRO  vol 5  ref 203.     

Also there is a record for Susan Bridget Browne date of birth 27 Nov 1870 ( this could be William's sponsor on his baptism record and the aunt he was living with in 1901.)

It might not be right to assume that both parents were deceased for Mary to go into ophanage.  Sometimes in those days, if perhaps a mother died in childbirth, the father was unable to look after the children himself and they were often sent to the nuns at the orphanage.

Hope this helps you and that I have jumped to too many conclusions!!

Mary

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 August 10 18:58 BST (UK) »
The end of my previous message should read "hope this helps and that I have NOT jumped to too many conclusions"

Mary

Offline sapphireblue67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 03:27 BST (UK) »
 ;D Mary...oh u wonderful lady...right now I feel I could throw my arms around you and give u a big bear hug...this is all to coincidental not to be the family, 1 mary in census to fit her age, one bridget age 28 to be the mother...WOW...and learning that snippet of history about if a mother is deceased the father puts children into orphanage well that all makes sense

It certainly gives us something to move on with.  Thankyou so much for your help it is so much appreciated.

Sapphire

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
I went to Kinsale this evening and had a look around Guard well.  I met a lovely lady in a pub and she showed me where the Harris pub was .  She knew many of the Harris - deceased now though.

I took some photos if you would like them just send me a PM with your email.

I also found Fisher Street (with guidance from the owner of the pub) which is very close to Guardwell - almost a continuation while I didn't find the exact number of Brownes again I took some photos to give you an idea of the place.

Let me know if you would like them

Mary
Celtic Liberty