Author Topic: "Old Mans Draft Card U..S.A. 1942" help required  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
"Old Mans Draft Card U..S.A. 1942" help required
« on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Guys,

I am looking for a copy of "Old Mans Draft Card U..S.A. 1943" for a John Smith Allan / Allen.  This was issued to men deemed too old to fight in WW2, it details their age, address, employer and also the name of a person who would be able to identify them.
I am looking for a John Smith Allan born 1891 in Aberdeen Scotland.
He went to America in 1911 and settled in Barre, Vermont.
I can't find him on the 1920 Census, was he possibly back in the UK fighting in WW1?
I can't  be sure I have the right one in the 1930 Census due to the lack of details. The one I have in 1930 stayed in Michigan but I can't be sure it is him, the "Draft Card" may help.
If you could be so kind to have a look or could possibly point me in the right direction I would be obliged.

Ta,

Swally

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: "Old Mans Draft Card U..S.A. 1942" help required
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
Believe your John Smith Allan was born 22 nd Feb 1891. The John Smith Allan on the WW1 Draft in Michigan was born 4 th Oct 1890.

The US  Army Register of Enlistments 1798 - 1914 has A John S Allan listed 15th Jan 1912 from Aberdeen in Scotland. Labourer. Blue Eyes. Auburn Hair. Ruddy Complexion. 5 foot 8 1/2 ins. Dis June 11th 1912. Regiment CAC 155.

No further details
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:38 BST (UK) »
Sandra,

Great that you responded so quickly.

The guy in Michigan, although the date of birth doesn't match up are there any other details.  Our John wasn't that clued up about birthdays and I would need further info before I discount him just yet.

The guy who joined up is a possible, but his height & description are different from his shipping manifest although I would trust the army before a shipping line, the army would have been more accurate I would have thought.

Is there any way we can get his service recors even though it was only 6 months?

Cheers,

Swally

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 21:46 BST (UK) »
He was born in Glasgow, Plummer with a wife Lorraine and partially dependants parents.
Had peviousle been a Private for 2 1/2 months in Michigan ???
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
Could this be John:
1920 Williamsport Ward 2, Lycoming Co., PA
John Allen, age 30 and born in Scotland, immigrated 1911.  Machinist, machine shop
May or Mary, wife, age 25, born PA
They had a daughter, age 1/12 months, born PA
Census taken January 4 and 5, 1920

I'm having computer problems and I'm unable to check the 1930 census right now.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:13 BST (UK) »
I think I found the Williamsport John in 1930 - I cannot read his town of birth, but it wasn't Aberdeen.  (It does state the town name and Scotland next to it, rather than just
"Scotland".)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:27 BST (UK) »
Kirkcudbrightshire for that one Lisa  ;)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:46 BST (UK) »
 :o
I'm glad I didn't try to figure it out.  I'll stick with my English and Irish locations.

Thanks, Sandra.  ;)