Author Topic: Next Step help please and IGI Individual Record  (Read 3955 times)

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Next Step help please and IGI Individual Record
« on: Wednesday 26 May 04 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have the following information:
An IGI Individual Birth Record

BENJAMIN EUGENE BEAUTAMOIS NAPOLEON BROOKS
born 02 JUL 1823  Holy Trinity, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, England
Parents: Thomas Brooks and Hannah (no surname)

Source Information
Batch No.: Dates:    Source Call No.:    Type:    Printout Call No.:    Type:
C107481    1813-1841 0990828-30         Film    6910989        Film

C107481    1813-1841 0919483        Film    NONE        
Sheet: 00

I also have an IGI Individual marriage Record, also in Pallots Marriage Index

Name: Thomas Brooks
Spouse: HANNAH BOWERS
Marriage: 5 FEB 1799     Wolstanton, Stafford, England

Source Information:
Batch Number:    A456534
Sheet:    00         
Source Call No.: 456534  
Type:    Book

I am related to Benjamin EBN Brooks, I do not know if he has any siblings. I have no proof that the Thomas Brooks and Hannah on Benjamin's birth certificate is the same Thomas and Hannah in the above marriage record.  
My first question is: How do i prove/disprove that the Thomas Brooks and Hannah on Benjamin's birth certificate is the same Thomas and Hannah in the above marriage record? (as i would very much like to as Hannah's family traces back to 1610!!)

My Second Question is: What is this source information above mean? Where can i get access to it and what additional information will it provide?

My Third Question is: Why didn't registration of birth, deaths and marriage start before 1837? Why didn't anybody think that their descendants in 100+ years time may wish to trace their family heritage/tree and thus keep records to make our job easier? (although the discovery is fun until you come to a complete dead end :( )

i think that is all my questions for the moment, so hopefully someone out there can help me :)

thank you very much :)

Tara
Hertfordshire(Anstey, the Hadham, Reed, Standon): Gault, Hoy, Miles, Smith
Shropshire(Aston Botterell,Burwarton,Stoke St Milborough,Wheathill): Angell, Blackmore, Blakemore, Bennett, Pheysey
Essex(Dunmow,West Ham): Allen, Blackmore, Carr, Sutton
Warwickshire(Birmingham,Edgbaston): Angell
Yorkshire(Doncaster,Hull): Brooks, Doe
London/Middlesex area(Battersea,Wandsworth, Willesden): Angell, Brooks, Carr, Carswell, Salkind
Norfolk (Norwich,Nth Walsham,Lynn,Gt Yarmouth): Carr, Salkind

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:Next Step help please and IGI Individual Record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 May 04 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This doesn't really answer your specific questions I'm afraid, but have you tried Hugh Wallis' site which enables you to search the IGI by parish for a surname?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyYorkshire_(I-L).htm#K

There are a few baptisms which may be siblings for your Benjamin, including the following (perhaps a twin sister?).

HORTENTIA BROOKS  
  Female    
~~~~~~~~
Event(s):
 Birth:  
 Christening:  02 JUL 1823   Holy Trinity, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, England

Death:  
 Burial:  
~~~~~~~~
Parents:
  Father:  THOMAS BROOKS  Family
  Mother:  HANNAH    
~~~~~~~~
 Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.  
~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
 Batch No.:  Dates:  Source Call No.:  Type:  Printout Call No.:  Type:  
 C107481  1813 - 1841  0990828-30   Film  6910989   Film  
 C107481  1813 - 1841  0919483   Film  NONE    
 Sheet: 00

Regards,
Sasha.  :)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 04 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,

Question one.
Firstly,  I would say you need to see the source for the IGI christening record.  Check all is as expected there.  The IGI needs to be treated only as a secondary source at best.

Question two.
The source information is cataloge references for the Chuch of the Latterday Saints(LDS) collections.
Have a look at their site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHL/frameset_library.asp
You can access their films at a local LDS,  their site will tell you which is the closest to you.

Question three.
A lack of forethought?  Sheer meaness?  A sense of fun,  knowing they could have hours of fun watching their descendents tearing out their hair or making wild guesses. Who knows?   ;D

Good luck,
Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 May 04 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

This thread may be useful to you:  
http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=47;action=display;threadid=4684

Chris in 1066Land and Boongie Pam give invaluable information and advice here.

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline tarajobrien

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 May 04 00:33 BST (UK) »
Cool thanks everybody for your help, much appreciated :)

Twin sister?? looks possible both have same parents and christened on same day? has a strange name too - HORTENTIA, bit like BEAUTAMOIS i suppose, - would love to know where that comes from.

Tara
Hertfordshire(Anstey, the Hadham, Reed, Standon): Gault, Hoy, Miles, Smith
Shropshire(Aston Botterell,Burwarton,Stoke St Milborough,Wheathill): Angell, Blackmore, Blakemore, Bennett, Pheysey
Essex(Dunmow,West Ham): Allen, Blackmore, Carr, Sutton
Warwickshire(Birmingham,Edgbaston): Angell
Yorkshire(Doncaster,Hull): Brooks, Doe
London/Middlesex area(Battersea,Wandsworth, Willesden): Angell, Brooks, Carr, Carswell, Salkind
Norfolk (Norwich,Nth Walsham,Lynn,Gt Yarmouth): Carr, Salkind

Offline Reggie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 May 04 08:45 BST (UK) »
Tara

It's tuff stuff researching to find a lead.  I think you will have do a process of elimination.  Try Benjamin EBN Brooks's will.  It may have a lead mentioning his brother or sister to look after children if his wife was to Die before him. Some wills are quite extensive and you can get many a lead from them.  You can search on http://www.documentsonline.pro.gov.uk/ .  I think the wills on that site go up to about 1856.  After that you will have to check the National Probate Calendars at your FHC or library.  

I also use http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/free4_tda which is The Times and you can search Births, Marriages and Deaths.

Also Census can get you a lead.

Hope this helps.

Reg

Johnson: Scotland & Australia
Robertson: Scotland & Australia
Bedford: London, Surrey, Somerset, Kent, Kensington
Ash(e): Ireland, NSW Australia
Tooley: England, NSW Australia
Austen: Surrey (Shalford)
Jackson: Australia - Ulmarra, Cowper
Howard: Australia - Maclean
Reiley: South Bersted, London