Author Topic: Emily Benstead born 1897 in Melton Constable, Norfolk - SOLVED THANK YOU  (Read 2448 times)

Offline LindyLoo74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emily Benstead born 1897 in Melton Constable, Norfolk - SOLVED THANK YOU
« on: Wednesday 18 August 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Please can somebody help me ?!?

I have hit a brick wall and I am extremely frustrated  :(.  I am trying to find out what happened to my Great Aunt Emily Benstead.  I have traced her age 13 on the 1911 Census she was an inmate in the Brixton Fathereless Girls Orphanage, Barrington Road, Brixton.

On the 1901 Census she was living at 151 Stanhope Street, St Pancras age 4 with her parents Harry & Eliza Benstead and her brother Harry Benstead (my grandad).  Her Father Harry died in 1905 when she was only 7 years so I assume that shortly after that she moved into the orphanage.

Her mother Eliza Benstead Age 49, Widow (a daily cook) was living alone at 210 Acre Lane, Brixton on the 1911 census and her brother Harry Age 11 was a schoolboy at the Duke of York School, Guston, Near Dover on the 1911 Census.

She was born in 1897 in Melton Constable, Norfolk.

What happened to her after the Orphanage is a mystery to me.  My Dad's family didnt even know she existed until I discovered her on the census returns.  I cant find a death or a marriage that ties up with her and there doesnt seem to be any records as such for the Orphanage.  My theory is that she may have died as a teenager ?  I really need to find out what happened to her it sounds like a sad story.

Can anyone advise me what my next step should be?

Thank you in anticipation

Offline cardiff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I've hit a brick wall !! - Emily Benstead born 1897 in Melton Constable, Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
poss marriage
Emily Benstead =m= leonard Blanchflower
1929 Yarmouth 2nd qtr vol 46 page 31.
Its in the right county!
cheers cardiff ???
All CensusTranscriptions are Crown Copyright

Read Wiltshire /Pontypridd
Dove Lincolnshire/Pontypridd/Cardiff
Barnhouse Cardiff/Pontypridd
Wilkes Shropshire/ Staffordshire/ Rhondda
Fletchers Staffordshire/ Glamorgan
Wright Somerset/ Glamorgan
Probert Cardigan/Rhondda/Shropshire
Jenkins Cardigan
Lewis Cardigan
Morgan Penderyn/Pontypridd
Stephens Penderyn
David Glamorgan
Whitby Forest Dean
Hughes Goodrich/Pontypridd
Jackson/Smith London /Kent/Glamorgan
Hughes Maesteg/Ynyshire

Offline LindyLoo74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: I've hit a brick wall !! - Emily Benstead born 1897 in Melton Constable, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, I think I have already looked into that marriage, but I will re-check it again.

Cheers :)

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 August 10 12:47 BST (UK) »

Hi,

A possible death if she didn't marry,

Emily BENSTEAD    Dec Q 1945    Surrey Mid Eastern    2a  274

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline LindyLoo74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 August 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy

Thank you so much for this It sounds very promising  :)

Can I just ask where did you find this infomation from?

Regards
Lynne

Offline LindyLoo74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 August 10 15:51 BST (UK) »

Hi,

A possible death if she didn't marry,

Emily BENSTEAD    Dec Q 1945    Surrey Mid Eastern    2a  274

Regards,
Daisy

I have just received a copy of the Death Certificate for Emily Benstead and I am pretty sure it's our Emily.

The certificate shows she died at The Cane Hill Mental Hospital at Coulsdon, Surrey.  She was a Spinster age 48 - other particulars unknown.  It mentions also under occupation that she was of 8 ? Block Peabody Buildings, Camberwell Green S.E.5.  No mention of any relatives on the Certificate, but it all seems to point to her being our Emily.

I believe that people who died at Cane Hill Hospital were buried in the grounds.  In the early 1980's 5000 bodies were removed from the Hospital Grounds and cremated then scattered at Croydon Cemetery.

Seems like quite a sad story  :(

I would just like to thank Daisypetal for finding the record for me and helping me find out what happened to Emily

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Benstead born 1897 in Melton Constable, Norfolk - SOLVED THANK YOU
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 September 10 11:51 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I don't know much about this area of research, maybe another RootsChat member will be able to give more advice. It looks like you might be able to find more about Emily, there are some about Cane Hill records at the London Metropolitan Archives,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/09ob/

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)