Author Topic: Potts circa 1829  (Read 2939 times)

Offline lmwalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Potts circa 1829
« on: Sunday 03 April 05 21:31 BST (UK) »
I was quite pleased to find in the 1871 Census that David Potts was born in County Armagh - so much better than the whole island of Ireland!!

Would appreciate help in finding his family: father Henry POTTS, labourer and Mary McBRIDE (from David's death entry).

David married Rebecca Lindsay MCKAY of County Donegal, probably 1853-1856, and most likely in Ireland.  All children were born in Scotland.

Thanks so much!
On my side: Preuss, Werling, Koeneman, Sodtmann in Indiana and Germany; Spies, Jones, Shack, Schooley, Evans, St. Clair in America.
On my husband's: Walton, Lincoln, Hibbert, Harrop, Turner in Lancashire and Derby; Flannery, Potts, Pottons, McKay, Lindsay in Scotland; Santangelo and Sedita in Sicily.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Potts circa 1829
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 April 05 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've had a look through Griffiths Valuations for Co. Armagh. I found several families by the name of Potts throughout Co. Armagh. Henry Potts was not named as a head of a household. The Valuations only show the head of the household. If a census had been available it might well show that Henry and Mary were living with either her or his parents. It was common for young marrieds to live with parents at that time. Do you know the Potts religious persuasion ?

http://www.failteromhat.com/ Griffiths Valuations for 1864 are included in this site.
 I found the name Potts in the following areas of Co. Armagh - Keady, Killyman, Kilmore, and Newry.

Best Wishes,  Christopher

Offline lmwalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Potts circa 1829
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 03:23 BST (UK) »
Christopher -
thank you so much for your reply and work on my behalf.

Another Potts researcher has contacted me; his Potts were Presbyterians from Keady. I'm going to have another go at the Scottish census to see if Henry and Mary Potts show up in Scotland.

So that's the few clues I have.
Thanks again!
Lisa
On my side: Preuss, Werling, Koeneman, Sodtmann in Indiana and Germany; Spies, Jones, Shack, Schooley, Evans, St. Clair in America.
On my husband's: Walton, Lincoln, Hibbert, Harrop, Turner in Lancashire and Derby; Flannery, Potts, Pottons, McKay, Lindsay in Scotland; Santangelo and Sedita in Sicily.