Author Topic: ANDREW YOUNG veterinary surgeon in Jedburgh  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
ANDREW YOUNG veterinary surgeon in Jedburgh
« on: Thursday 19 August 10 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can any one help me find parents/family/MI of Andrew Young, recorded in Pigot's 1837 as a veterinary surgeon at Bank head, Jedburgh.  I suspect that he was born ca1810 - ca 1817 and died ca1840, certainly by 1861.

In 1838 he married Grace McLean, (born 1821, Edinburgh) address recorded as Bankhead, Jedburgh.  Their daughter Jane was christened at the Jedburgh Associate Congregation Church in 1839. 

1841.. Grace Young and baby Jane are at Palacehill, Ancrum
1851.. no sign of family
1861.. Grace, widowed is at Union St in Edinburgh with two of her brothers & daughter Jane.

regards, brigau

Offline Juda

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ANDREW YOUNG veterinary surgeon in Jedburgh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 August 12 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigau
I think I can help you with details of Andrew young's family post 1861. His daughter Jane became an accomplished pianist (and teacher of piano) and at 24 yo  married Donald Lachlan Maclachlan, 40 years her senior, on July 2nd 1863 at 8 Atholl Place Edinburgh. They migrated to South Australia soon after. Mrs young accompanied them. Their first child, Grace (my grandmother) was born at Sandergrove S.A. in 1864 followed by John, Eliza, Andrew, Jessie and Donald.Jane was widowed in1881. (Jane, her husband and her mother are all buried at Ardrossan  SA)
This of course makes ANDREW YOUNG my great great grandfather.
We (my family) have lots of anacdotal information on Jane, her husband and mother and some records of births, deaths etc.
Hope this is helpful. I would like to exchange more info with you.Iam coming to Scotland from SA in September.  Juda

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 August 12 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigau ,

Just in case you have not found it by now ,
The freeCen website has -
1851 7 Dean Street , St. Cuthberts , Midlothian
Grace Young 30 widow annuitant born Edinburgh Midlothian
Jane Young 11 dau. b. Jedburgh Roxburghshire
William Mclean 48 brothr proprietor of houses b. Dalry Ayrshire
John Mclean 34 brothr vetenary surgeon b. Edinburgh Midlothian

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 August 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev,

Thanks for the 1851, don't know how I missed it!!

Hi Juda,

How interesting.  I do have some information about Donald & Jane; Land Grants, memorial inscriptions and photographs from Ardrossan cemetery, marriage cert., entries from the Biographical Index of SA, obituaries etc.  I also know that Donald emigrated aboard the Tomatin in 1841, married, returned to Scotland a widow and then married Jane.  I can also say that he was the second youngest of at least nine children born to Donald McLachlan and Janet Campbell.  Donald senior was a farmer in the Kilmartin district of Argyll and also a merchant, some of the children were born in Kilmartin, others in Glasgow.  So far I have traced only four of these siblings including Lachlan McLachlan, our direct ancestor who was a saddler and merchant in Fort William. He died in 1860.

The names of Donald & Jane's children also have a story to tell: Grace McLean after Jane's mother; John Campbell, after Donald's mother; Eliza Jane Hewett, after Eliza Agnes Hewett, the wife of Lachlan's son, Moses McLachlan who immigrated to Adelaide in 1858 and died there in 1920.  Moses, Eliza and their infant son, William Charles Hewett McLachlan are interred at the West Terrace cemetery in Adelaide. Andrew Young Mclachlan, of course; Jessie Campbell, derived from Janet Campbell or possibly Lachlan's daughter Jessie who died young, and Donald Lachlan McLachlan, possibly after Donald's brother, Lachlan.

My initial post here was to try and find parents for Andrew Young & Grace McLean.  Andrew evidently died young, both he and Grace's brother, John had articles published in 'The Veterinarian.' Clearly he would have had a bright future had he lived longer, but I can't find his parents.  I know nothing of Donald McLachlan's first marriage, his early life in SA, or how he and Jane met etc., although I have exchanged some information with another member of your family from the Yorke Peninsular.

Yes, it would be good to share information.  After you have made three posts here we can us the Private Message facility to exchange e-mail addresses.

Regards,
brigau