Author Topic: Forrest, Virginia and England  (Read 3982 times)

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forrest, Virginia and England
« on: Friday 20 August 10 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I working on "Forrest". Here is the basic outline of places and dates. Eastham, Ma present to 1860, Mathrews, VA 1680, England 1600.  I'm having trouble getting record info from VA.  Eastham to present I'm set because of family records.  Is there anyone who is searching in VA and looking for the name Forrest?
There is one name that need to be verified before I can go on.  William Henry Forrest, b. 21 Apr 1848, Mathews, Virginia.  I got this info from www. family search.org.  But I don't have other sources to verify.  Then of course his father...
Any thought would be great.
pearlsing
McIlroy, McKee, Moon

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Forrest, Virginia and England
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Those are submissions and not too reliable... Are you positive it is Wm HENRY Forrest?
wrong information removed, as more information posted

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 10 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Unfortantly that is not correst. 
1850 US William H Forrest, birth 1848,resid. Mathews, Virginia
1860 US William Forrest, birth 1848- virginia, resid. Truro, Barnstable, MA
1870 US William H Forrest, birth 1847, Virginia, resid. Truro, Barnstable, MA
1880 US William H Forrest, birth 1848, Virginia, spouce Ida B. Forrest, resid. Provincetown, Barnstable, MA
1910 US William H Forrest, birth 1847, Virginia, resid. Eastham, Barnstable, MA
1920 US William Henry Forrest birth 1847, Virginia, resid. Eastham, Barnstable, MA
Died 9 dec 1924 Provincetown, Barnstable, MA
I have his marriage from family search .org, Massachusetts Marriages, 1695-1910, this document has him married in Trury, Roxbury, MA It should be Truro, MA. I'll try and get more information. But the marriage says his father was Lewis and his Mary E.
pearlsing
McIlroy, McKee, Moon

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 November 10 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about that...the database is usually more intuitive than that, picking up slight phonetics.
The trouble with the IGI is that some are family submisssions, and often they are right on...but sometimes just repeat census ages
example your Ida is on there as
Ida Betheah Grazer born Jan. 21 1855 Truro, Barnstable, Massachusetts
parents Barnabas H. Grazer  & Eunice L. 
another submission has her down as just Ida B. Grasier born 1852, died 1892 Provincetown, Barnstable,Ma

at least you have added more of what you know so that someone might help you find his birth...

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 November 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I thought I sent a post but I guess it didn't go through.  William was my gggradnfather, I grew up in the ssame nieghborhood, at least a couple towns away.  Ida was born 21 jan 1855, Truro, Barnstable, MA.  I got a marriage from familysearch.org. Stated his father was Robert Forrest, which goes with my grandfather's bio.
I just widh I could find his father, then it's good.  I understand that most of the records were burned in the Civil War.  They were held in /richmond, Va.  History says Richmond wsas burned twice.
I'm tring to get the library to lone some books, maybe I can find something there. 
pearlsing.
McIlroy, McKee, Moon

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 December 10 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have an update on William Forrest.  Went to the Truro Town Hall over the holidays.  I'm getting a Cert for their wedding.  I had a chance to look at the ledger of wedding.  William's father was Robert Forrest from VA and his mother was Emory from Va.  So that is more info.  When I get the cert I'll post it for others who want it.
Happy Holidays to all
Pearlsing
McIlroy, McKee, Moon

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 December 10 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Didn't you say previously that you already had the marriage with parents Lewis an Mary A.? Was that for a different unstated generation? But I see in the next posting it was changed to Robert...
You can find the marriage of George S. Forrest , John R. Forrest, Hezekiah M. Forrest ( twice) & Mary Louisa Forrest all Mathews Co., Va., on the familysearch beta site
or is this the wrong family, as it just occurred to me that if you didn't know the mother's name she must have died previously to the 1850 census? O.K. just looked and she was Emily on the 1850. ( w/ Sarah, Mary & your Wm)..Why didn't you say that was the problem? She is clearly Emory again on 1860

Offline pearlsing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 December 10 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry about the confusion.  My error in saying mother's name was Mary.    I wanted to make sure his mother was Emory not Emily. Parents name Robert and Emory Forrest was verified in the marriage ledger.  In the 1850 Census the race was mulatto, that was a concern.  The last name Lewis I still have to verify.  I have the children from the Census, George S, John R, Hezekiah M, and Mary L.  I'm hoping the familysearch beta site will give a clue to Robert's parents.  Looking at the  Census there are a lot of Forrest in Mathews Co. 
Thanks
pearlsing
McIlroy, McKee, Moon

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 December 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I imagine the concern about the family being mulatto is that it would make one line harder to trace...
Well hopefully there is a parents listed for Robert & Emory on the marriage cert. I did see a William Henry not too far from your Robert on the 1850.
 :D I see now that you think the last name for Emory was Lewis...( I saw it on a submitted file)

If what this person says is true, then they may have more information on your family as well, and theirs should be related somehow...
"In 1791 Kingston Parish became Mathews County"
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/p/o/o/Joseph-L-Poole-GA/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0033.html
The Forrests of the Revolutionary War, Kingston Parish ( Thomas, John, Henry, George... to name a few forenames that match siblings of Wm.)
http://vagenweb.org/gloucester/rostere-h.html