Author Topic: Photo of William Lamb, Bombadier, WWII  (Read 3942 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo of William Lamb, Bombadier, WWII
« on: Friday 20 August 10 18:50 BST (UK) »
I have a photo of a man by the name of William Lamb who was a Bombadier in the 2nd world war.  He is commemorated by a statue on the North east Scottish Coastline somewhere near Aberdeen.

If he is your relative and you would like a copy of this, you can contact me via this page.

If this is the wrong place to post this, apologies.  Im sure that the moderators will move it to the correct place.  Dont want anything for it. Cost me nothing to take his photo and his statue is worth a visit, if only I could remember exactly where he was.  I remember there was a little cafe which opens even during the winter, they get a lot of custom. Probably because the loos are locked.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of William Lamb, Bombadier, WWII
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 August 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Marcie - I've moved this topic to the World War II board - let's hope you find his picture a good home. :)
Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 August 10 08:45 BST (UK) »

Would it be possible that the statue you found Marcie, was in fact sculpted by William Lamb, not the name of the Bombardier :

http://www.angus.gov.uk/history/features/people/lamb1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lamb_%28sculptor%29

See what you think anyway.  :)

Kindest regards,

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
Not sure now, but I remember seeing a date which I think was a date of death.  Anyway, I will try and load it for you to see and you can make your own conclusions.  You will have to be very patient with me over this as I have not done this for some time.
The photo is my property but I do not mind sharing it in the least.
Yes you are right, it was down from Stonehaven in one of the fishing ports or nearby, there was also a golf club nearby and everything but the cafe was shut .  There was a guy cycling along on the sand and a Lighthouse to the right of the cafe.
I just found it very poignant!
marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Pels.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 10:54 BST (UK) »

Hi again Marcie,

I can fully understand why you found it so poignant, it would be appreciated if you could post the picture you've taken. I might be mistaken about this, if I am - I've still enjoyed learning about the work of the other William Lamb.

We've been along this coastline quite a few times up to Aberdeen and further, it's a beautiful part of the world and no midges on the east coast, or certainly none that I've encountered !  :)

Pels.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 August 10 16:39 BST (UK) »
Here goes, please forgive if this doesn't work
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 August 10 16:41 BST (UK) »
This is the other one.

searl rogers sutherland

Offline Pels.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 August 10 17:06 BST (UK) »

Those are fantastic Marcie, thanks very much for posting them !!  :)

Have a look at this link, it might be of interest to you, you can click on the "View Gallery" and see your image :

http://www.montrosereview.co.uk/open/The-Sculpture-Capital-of-Angus.2855204.jp

To quote a section from the Montrose Review, titled The Sculpture Capital of Angus :

Situated appropriately at the beach front facing out to sea, the life-size bronze depicts the local minesweeper whose job it was to patrol the dunes during the second world war to keep a watchful eye for stray mines which might be swept into Montrose Harbour on incoming tides.

Lamb died in 1951 and it was his dying wish that his studio in Market Street be left as his memorial. It was gifted to Montrose Town Council, who decided it should remain as a permanent exhibition of his work.

Although Lamb died with many of his works incomplete and at the plaster model stage of development, Angus Council undertook a programme to have his sculptures finished as the artist had intended and The Minesweeper is a product of that project.

As you said earlier, the position of this one is very poignant.

Pels.

Offline Carli_4443

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hello! I am a Lamb from Wheatley Ontario. I had a great great uncle William Lamb who was a Red Devil in world war 2. If you have a picture of him that would be great thank you.