Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow - Part 3  (Read 116832 times)

Offline Diane Carruthers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc., Continued
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 30 September 10 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I found Francis Halpin's obituary in the July 6, 1925 New York Times. It says he was the former vice president of the Chase National Bank and that he had been with the bank for 52 years.  He was living in Montclair, New Jersey.

On the 1900 census for Montclair ( you can view it for free on Family search) he is listed with his wife, two children and his mother Mrs. Halpin born in Ireland April 1830, married 1 year with 1 child, parents born in Ireland. It seems like he had done well for himself.

Diane

Offline tavern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 03 October 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,
Just came across your site recently. You appear to have done extensive research on the Halpin family. I don't have time to go through it all so I don't know for sure if you have a copy of the Will of James Halpin of Wicklow dated 22nd July 1847.?
If you don't I can post it on your site.
Regards,
Tavern

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 03 October 10 15:45 BST (UK) »

Hi Tavern - welcome to rootschat.  I think I can safely say on behalf of all of the regular contributors to this site, that any glimpse into the will of James Halpin would be a godsend.  I didn't know a copy of the will existed.  If you could post it, or relevant portions of it, we'd all be very grateful indeed.  Cheers for now - Ray.

Offline tavern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 03 October 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray - glad to oblige. Will upload in the next few days.
Regards,
Tavern

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 09:03 BST (UK) »
I found this some time ago:

The Gentleman's and London magazine: or monthly chronologer, 1741-1794 has an entry saying that Mrs Mary Ann Halpin of Portarlington died in June or July 1785.

Could this be the wife of Nicholas William Halpin, naval officer and headmaster of Portarlington School?  The date would fit as I guess Nichoas W Halpin was born aboiut 1715, Portarlington fits ....

Best wishes, Brian

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 15:09 BST (UK) »

I think that's a good find and a sound fit, Brian.  Well done.

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 09 October 10 10:08 BST (UK) »
Some information about the Portarlington Halpins from Google Books advanced search using - Halpin + Portarlington. Most of this information we probably know about but may be something of interest for someone.

From “Willis’s Current Notes” – published 1855

“The following memorandum from a manuscript by the late Mr Halpin of Portarlington, Queen’s County, Ireland: in the possession of Dr Hanlon of that town, may possibly be of interest to readers of Current Notes.

“The first master of the French School at Portarlington, was Mr Le Fevre, who kept boarders, a most worthy character, a friend and correspondent of Dr Henry Maude, Bishop of Meath, the original founder and promoter of the Protestant Charter Schools.  From Le Fevre’s school others were established, particularly for infant children, so that the town of Portarlington, for more than half a century has been celebrated for its schools, there being at present (1811) six reputable seminaries for the instruction of the youth of both sexes; three for males and three for females, which conjointly contain three hundred children”.

Le Fevre is of course a well know Huguenot name and a Huguenot settlement existed in Portarlington from the early 18th century. An article in the Ulster Journal of Archaeology, Vol 6, pp 327-346, 1858 “The Huguenot Colony of Portarlington” by Sir Erasmus Borrowes says that 64 French families (i.e. Huguenots) were living in Portarlington as early as 1701.   

It also says that besides Mr Le Fevre, Cassel, Buliot, Durand, Macarel, Bonafou, La Cam, Hood, Baggs, Willis, Halpin, Lyons were all 18th century schoolmasters in Portarlington and Mrs Dunne, Dennison, and Despard had schools for young ladies.

Mr Halpin married Miss Anne Du Bois who would have been a Huguenot – tempted to suggest she was a pretty French Huguenot teacher at Nicholas Halpin’s school in Portarlington!

“French books in eighteenth-century Ireland, Issue 7”, 2001, mentions the dates of some Portarlington schoolmasters/mistresses:

1784-1791 Mr Halpin, English grammar school.
1794 Mme Dunne, boarding school for girls.
1796-1798 Mr La Cam, Portarlington academy.
1797 Mrs Dennison and Miss Mathews, English and French boarding school

The geographical distribution of Irish ability David James O'Donoghue, 1906
Halpin, Rev. Nicholas J. (1790-1850); scholar, born Portarlington.
Halpine, Charles Graham (1829-1868); soldier and poet, born oldcastle.

The Gentleman's magazine, Volume 78, Part 2
8th Sept 1808; Much regretted, Mrs Halpin, wife of W.H Halpin Esq. Of Dublin.  (This must be Marianne Crosthwaite)

The Patrician, Volume 5 edited by John Burke, Sir Bernard Burke 1848
Halpin, William Henry. Esq., for upwards of 30 years connected with the Metropolitan and Provincial Press, second son of W. H. Halpin Esq., of Dublin, 8th May, aged 54, at Dublin.

Mr Halpin  Subscribed to “A View of Irish Affairs Since the Revolution of 1688: To the Close of the Parlimentary Session of 1795”.  Published 1795

Brian

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 10 October 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
Brian, I agree that "Mrs Mary Ann Halpin of Portarlington died in June or July 1785" could be the mother of Nicholas Halpin headmaster.
But equally she could be the wife of Nicholas the headmaster, born abt 1735.
I note that from Ray's scanned chart, Nicholas' wife is recorded there as "Miss du Bois".  I can't recall where we got her name as Anne du Bois, which is what we have been working on, but her name could as easily have been Mary Ann du Bois, do you think?  The paper could even have misreported her name. It could have been Marianne, which sounds more French.
I presume the other Marianne's name recorded in the chart as Crosswaite is just a variant, as I have seen it as Crossthwait(e).  However, I don't think this is significant as we have seen the Halpins in league with Leland Crossthwaite and another.  These Crossthwaites are intriguing as they seem to completely disappear from all Irish records in the later 1800s.  Perhaps they decamped to England or America.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 October 10 04:17 BST (UK) »
This a posting of IFs, which may well look naïve as we discover more.  But as recently as P.1 of this thread, I was speculating on the name William.  IF there was a Nicholas William Halpin with a son named Nicholas born 1735, it is as likely IF he had another son, that son might be called William.
We know that the mother of James Halpin of Wicklow was Elizabeth, born about 1739.  IF, as is quite conceivable, her husband had been this William Halpin, born like Nicholas in the 1730s, he quite probably had a son he named William (who was the paymaster, father of Robert Crawford, etc.), at the same time confirming that William and James, both of Wicklow, were brothers.
And IF this theory holds, that is the link of the Portarlington Nicholas Halpin famiily to the Wicklow James, William (and other?) families.  Their common ancestor would have been Nicholas William Halpin, ex RN.
James had a nephew Frederick (an unknown son of paymaster William?) as well as at least three of his own sons who became sea captains.  Was this influenced (the way smoothed) by their grandfather (and father/uncle William) having been these navy men?
And then, IF, as has been speculated, Nicholas William (and even Nicholas?) saw action in the American War of Independence in the late 1770s, that may well have been enough to give him controversial views, the politics that Ray's lore suggests was at the root of the family arguing.  (However, by this late, I suspect that Nicholas William may have been retired and Nicholas was already teaching.  Perhaps it was the other son, William, who was a RN officer serving in that war?)
So many IFs, but they make a nice theory, I think.  And Ray, could this speculative William have become a distiller in Dublin, perhaps with his son James?