Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow - Part 3  (Read 116854 times)

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Halpenn in London
« Reply #297 on: Sunday 17 March 13 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Just a few new items re my post 293 above.
A Mark Halpenn married Katherine Cox in 1718 - from Boyd’s Marriage Index (Mar.Licenses) Dioceses of England & Wales 1538-1840. Lic. date 21.5.1718.

Bapt. 1726 St James W’minster- Thomas Ollet, father- Mark Halpenn, mother- Hannah Ollet. From 'England Births & Christenings 1538-1975' (familysearch)

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc., Continued
« Reply #298 on: Thursday 21 March 13 23:08 GMT (UK) »
More on William Halpin, Pay Master.

See Reply #272 Mon 18 Feb 2013.  After William presented his letters of recommendation to the authorities at Dublin Castle, the Lord Lieutenant or his Secretary scribbled their replies onto the front of the same letter and handed it back to Captain Halpin when he called again a week or two later.  These replies were written hurridly and are sometimes very hard to decipher.  In some places the writing is illegible, but find below my best attempts at transcription (with help from a number of visiting genealogists at the National Archives).

CSO/RP/1819/451/2

5 June 1818.
The Duke of C
recommending Cpt H
for some employment [tenable?]
with his half-pay [?].

Dublin Castle
June 25 1818

Mr Peel [?] his humble duty to HRH the Duke of C [?] I have had the honour of receiving a letter from HRH in behalf of Cpt. Halpin which Mr. P has not failed to submit to the Lord Lt.

Mr. Peel is [?] by his [?] to acquaint the Duke of C. that it would give him great pleasure to have it in his power to comply with HRH's wishes in favour of Cpt. H and has taken a Memorandum of that Gentleman's name.  The Lord Lt. feels himself bound however to state to HRH that in consequence of the [recent?] reductions which have taken place in every Dept. of the State in this Country, the Patronage of the Gov. has been very much curtailed, and His Excellency cannot but fear that some time must elapse before an opportunity of providing for Cpt. H will present itself.

The abbreviations in the above text are as they appear in the original - as a kind of shorthand, I suppose.  Hundreds of letters just like Captain Halpin's must have crossed the Lord Lieutenant's desk every week after the Napoleonic wars ended.

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Friday 22 March 13 00:25 GMT (UK) »
See Reply #273 Mon 18 Feb 2013 for the second of the Duke of Cambridge's letters written to Dublin Castle on behalf of Captain Halpin.  Once again, the Castle's response was written on the front of the original:

CSO/RP/1819/451/1/A

Duke of Cambridge
in Captain Halpin's favour.

Dublin Castle
5 Nov 1819

Sir,
Your Royal Highness has been pleased to honour me with a letter respecting Cpt. Halpin, which I have lost no time in bringing under the consideration of the Lord Lieutenant.  His Excellency directs me to convey to your RH the [feelings?] with which he receives this expression of interest in Cpt. Halpin, whose name was last year placed by His Excellency's desire in consequence of a Commission from Your RH on the List of Candidates for Office.  The Lord Lieutenant at the same time thinks it incumbent on him to represent to Your RH that very General and Extensive reductions have taken place and are still in progress in every public Department in this Country, and meritorious Officers, both in Civil and Military Capacities, are every day dismissed from service, and that consequently while the number of claimants on the [patronage?] of the Government is continually multiplied, the means of meeting their demands are in the same proportion continually diminished.  Under these circumstances His Excellency trusts that Your RH will not be disappointed if he should not be able to find an early [opportunity?] of carrying Your RH's wishes into effect; an object, however, which His Excellency repeats it will give him sincere pleasure to accomplish.

I have the Honour...

While I can't be certain of this, I don't believe that Captain Halpin ever received another commission from the Government, or if he did, it wasn't a lengthy or particularly remunerative one.  I have in my possession a number of deeds which clearly demonstrate the extent to which Captain Halpin was dependent on rental income received from the land he had in his possession.  Much of that land ran adjacent to the quays immediately east/north east of Custom House, where George Halpin and Leland Crosthwaite also had land.  Those deeds are hard to transcribe, but I've completed almost all of them except (of course) for the most important one, which details the Bankruptcy of Captain Halpin in the mid to late 1830s (possibly extending into the early 1840s), and actually mentions which of his possessions he is allowed to keep, all others probably being sold off to pay the Captain's creditors.  In this particular deed the Captain's 'instruments of trade' are mentioned, but the actual word identifying those instruments is indecipherable, which is very frustrating as it would be interesting to know exactly what the Captain did to earn a living after the Duke's recommendations failed to win him a government commission.  Two duty clerks have tried to help me with the transcription of this document, one of whom was actually trained for the task, but both gave up defeated, describing the writing as 'the worst' they'd ever seen (it's not the worst I've come across up there).  They recommend I purchase a copy of the original, which I'm not allowed access to (the deeds in the registers are only rough handwritten duplicates of the originals). 
Until I exhaust all options and complete all transcriptions I won't post any of the deeds relating to the Captain's activities.  Another week or two should do it.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Just sorting out a few bits & pieces. I’m sure other contributors have come across the names ‘Halpern’ and ‘Halperin’ when searching for Halpin or Halpen. (The maiden name of a friend’s mother was ‘Halpern’. She was from Poland.) These are Jewish names, and are believed to come from ‘Heilbrunn’, Germany, from the Middle Ages. One family of Halperns who migrated to England changed their name to ‘Hallywell’ (‘Holy well’ which is what  ‘heilbrunn’ means).
I see that some American Halperns now call themselves ‘Halpen’, which, together with ‘McAlpin’ and ‘Halfpenny’ tends to confuse the issue.

Re Paget and Philip Halpen, engravers of Dublin- are they in fact one and the same person ?
They don’t seem to have been active at the same time, and there’s not much about Philip before or after his brief appearance on the engraving scene. Perhaps Paget liked to call himself Philip (to confuse the authorities ?)

Re Post 286- Boys Smith, surgeon, (Paget’s partner in the stamp scam ?) seems to have been a neighbour, Dr. Boyce Smith, of Maryborough, whose estate was mentioned in the land sales of 1856.

Re Post 275 (Bigbird)- The address of Mrs. Margaret (Delane) Halpin in 1819  was probably
Aungier St. Dublin.

I’m still worried about Paget, aged 17 or 18, being a ‘freeholder’ and eligible to vote in the M’borough election of 1760. Could he have been older when he joined the army ?

Lastly, does anyone know whether Hamstead and Hampstead are the same place or not ?
I only found Hampstead, I think it’s near Drumcondra.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Sunday 31 March 13 04:11 BST (UK) »
From ‘The Statutes at Large, passed in the Parliaments held in Ireland... the 19th year of George ll (1745) by James Goddard Butler & Wm. Ball, 1765. 
Re New Turnpike road from Naas, Kildare to Maryborough, Queens County. List of trustees:
The Sovereign of Kildare for the time being, the burgo master of Maryborough for the time being....
....James Stopford Esq.,..... Werner Westenra Esq., Thomas Parnel Esq., ... Marks Halpen (sic), gentleman, etc. etc. (There were dozens of names, I have included a few relevant ones only)
... and that the said trustees... shall be severally invested with all the powers and authorities....
to erect turnpikes and to receive tolls, and to appoint & remove collectors, overseers etc.
Tolls:  one horse- 3 halfpence;  horse & carriage- from 1 sh. to 2 sh. 6 p.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow - Part 3
« Reply #302 on: Thursday 25 April 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
300 replies to this part - so a new section started

see : Halpin of Wicklow - Part 4
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests