Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow - Part 3  (Read 116841 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc., Continued
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 August 10 02:57 BST (UK) »
Family of Capt Robert Charles Halpin:

No.135  ROBERT CHARLES HALPIN | of Tinnakilly House | J.P., D.L. for this County | Born Feb. 18th 1836, Died Jan. 20th 1894 | "They that go down to the sea in ships | that do business in great waters | these see the works of the Lord" | "So He bringeth them unto their desired haven"
On the base: - Also his wife | JESSIE | Born September 5th 1849, Died December 10th 1912
On the right side of this Headstone: - and ETHEL HALPIN | Born June 24th 1874, Died May 12th 1951 | BELLE LOUISA HALPIN | Born Aug. 7th 1875, Died April 17th1956
On the left side of this Headstone: - Also his youngest daughter | EDITH | Born May 30th 1879, Died January 16th 1944 | wife of the late H.H.CORLEY

There are a number of dates here that were not previously recorded and it had been assumed that none of his daughters married.  Might there have been any CORLEY children?

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 August 10 16:52 BST (UK) »

There's a H H Corley of Ireland who refereed in the 1908 Home Nations Championship (a Rugby Union tournament). 

Offline El Diablo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 September 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
I stumbled across the previous thread by accident but I have always had an interest in the Halpins as I previously had an association with Tinakilly House.  I presume it has been mentioned that there are plenty of old Robert Halpin memorabilia in the hotel (or at least it was there a number of years ago when I last visited). The previous owner, Bill Power is a good source of information about Robert and his family.

Offline mkent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
No Bill, I don't remember anything about Gertie Kennedy's sisters, the only other name I remember was Aunt Vi, and I don't know where she came in.  As to Belles sister being married to HH Corley, I never knew any of them married, one was an ambulance drivier in London during the war, I remember talk of that.  I am sure there were no children, but I do remember hearing my Father and Uncle talking about 'Mickey'  they were laughing and saying he was a real joker.  I got the impression that he was an adopted son, but years later I asked a family friend about him and she said she was never aware of any adopted children. That has always fascinated me!  Since coming back from Ireland I have received no notifications of postings, so went onto the site and read the latest ones.   Don't know why I was missed out! 

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Marie, a Violet Louise Halpin was the youngest child of Dr Stopford Halpin and his wife Susanna Frances Bestall, who I think lived in Arklow.  She was therefore the great aunt of the Dr Richard Michael Bestall Halpin we are seeking.
Violet was born in 1874 and was therefore a contemporary of her 1st cousin Gertie Kennedy, born 1871.  Records show that she married a man named Casey in 1914 when she was about 40 but I don't know where they lived or when she died.  Does anyone know of Violet Casey?
I hope I have attached the very slightly updated tree chart of the James Halpin family of Wicklow posted in the last series.  Unfortunately it just exceeds one page.  Any corrections welcome.  From this we can all see how this large family has produced so few descendants.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 00:15 BST (UK) »
Following Ray’s observation that a H H Corley had been an Irish international rugby player, a sport dear to me, I spent more time looking him up than I might, have found out much, but have not been able to confirm that Edith Halpin’s husband was the rugby player!  Much of what I found is not germane to this topic.  In brief, Henry Hagarty Corley was born 1878 in North Dublin to Anthony Hagarty Corley and Eleanor Purdon.  It is estimated that a Henry Cecil Corley was also born about 1878 and that he on some occasions referred to himself, or was referred to, as H H Corley.  Why I don’t know.  Which was the rugby player?
Anyway, Henry Hagarty Corley in 1907 first married Janet Agnes Violet Watson, daughter of Sir William Watson of 25 Fitzwilliam Place, Dublin.  I mention this address because it was occupied until 1947 by her brother Dr Edward Watson and thereafter by various medical practices but also for a long period by Henry Marvelle Read, malster and farmer of The Old Castle House, Roscrea, who was President of the Rugby Football Union in 1956.
Janet Corley died in 1921 and in the following year Henry Hagarty Corley married Edith Halpin, spinster, in the Dublin South district.   Edith and Henry were of the same age when married, about 43.  Henry died early 1936 at his (their?) home Willsfield, Mark Beech, Edenbridge, Kent.  Edith and her sisters had all been born in Beckenham, Kent, and I am wondering if the captain had purchased this property near Edenbridge for his frequent visits to England.
Edith died eight years later, 1944.  Her death was recorded in the Times:  CORLEY. – On Jan. 16, 1944, after a brief illness, at Tinnakilly, Edith, wife of the late H.H. Corley, Willsfield, Mark Beech, Kent, youngest daughter of the late R.C. Halpin, D.L., Tinnakilly House, Rathnew, Co. Wicklow.

Offline mkent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bill, I don't know much about Violet, apart from the fact that Aileen Halpin lived with her, it was with her and her sister Bessie that I met Aunt Vi in either Rathgar or Rathmines in the late 50s or early 60s. Thanks for the updated tree, the only addition I can see is that Maureen Halpin, sister of Dr Richard Halpin (who I have given up hope of hearing from) has a son Sean.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 09:19 BST (UK) »
Please remember not to post details of living, or possibly living people here.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 01:52 BST (UK) »
On Oct 29 1849 FREDERICK HALPIN, no age, born Dublin, 1819, received Third Class Certificate as Master under regulations issued by the Board of Trade, examining board Trinity House, London, No. Of Register Ticket 394420.  Present or last previous service: “Dido” of Prince Edward Island, 250 tons, as Mate.  [http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/21035/pages/3310  (abbreviated extraction and my caps)]
So, he was a master of marine from 1849 (aged 30).  He is in the 1851 England Census living as a lodger in London, unmarried:

Frederick Halpin, Master Mariner, age 32, unmarried, born Ireland, lodging at 10 Butlers Building Goodmans Fields, St Botolph Aldgate Class:  HO107; Piece:  1546; Folio:  593; Page:  45; GSU roll:  174776. 

We have to ask if this is the same Frederick Halpin whose memorial inscription is in the burial enclosure of James Halpin in Wicklow, which reads:

Captain Frederick Halpin nephew | of the above named James Halpin who departed | this life on the 26th of February 1859 aged 36 years.  If so, the inscriber has made him 4 years younger.  I don't believe that this inscription necessarily means that he is buried in Wicklow but I could be mistaken.