Author Topic: List of Wexford men on the Lightships 1911  (Read 11160 times)

Offline genseacher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: List of Wexford men on the Lightships 1911
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 12 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Shorts
Many thanks for that piece of vital info. Nice work and you have opened a new can of worms love it!!!
Richard Wafer is my husbands grandfather.

Let me share what your info has lead me to

Richard Wafer (son of Captain William Wafer) married a Hannah Wafer nee Varian in July 1938.
I have found them on the electoral list for Dublin No 3 Turlough Parade, Dublin.

Hannah Wafer nee Varian is listed twice on marriage register in 1938 as
Hannah Varian and Hannah Wafer which leads us to 
the fact that she was previously married to a Wafer.

Upon checking found a marriage to a John Wafer and a Hannah Varian in Cork in the quarter year
Jan to Mar 1917.

From what I can gather Hannah was born in Cork .  Have found two births.

Ok if Hannah married John Wafer in Jan to Mar 1917 is this the John Wafer, brother of Richard Wafer.  I think it is. Women did marry brother in laws.
There is also a birth of a son in early 1918 of a John Varion Wafer which is possible
John Wafer brother of Richard Wafer was drowned at sea aboard the SS bandon early 1918.

Regards
Genseacher
Byrne - Wexford
Carey - Dublin
Clifford - Dublin
Dwyer - Carlow and Wicklow
May - Dublin
Moore - Dublin
Noctor/Naughter - Wexford tarahill
Rooney - Dublin
Rossiter - Wexford
Wafer - Wexford and Dublin
Whelan - Carlow

Offline thomw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 March 12 14:52 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather Robert Murphy (born 1870) from William street  (later in Barrack street) in wexford served on the lightships. He married Emily Carley (born approx 1875) they had four children Ellen (Nellie), Esther Florence (Florrie), William, and my mother Emily Murphy who was born in 1907. My mother married Francis (Frank) Wafer in 1931, they had four children including myself (Thomas Wafer). There is something of a family mystery surrounding the whereabouts and whatever happened to my Grandmother (Emily Murphy nee Carley), sometime after the birth  of my motherin 1907 and the 1911 census, she seems to have "disappeared", some rumours say that she left my grandfather and went to the United States but I cannot find any record of this. If anybody can shed any light I this subject I would be very grateful

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 March 12 00:37 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather Robert Murphy (born 1870) from William street  (later in Barrack street) in wexford served on the lightships. He married Emily Carley (born approx 1875) they had four children Ellen (Nellie), Esther Florence (Florrie), William, and my mother Emily Murphy who was born in 1907. My mother married Francis (Frank) Wafer in 1931, they had four children including myself (Thomas Wafer). There is something of a family mystery surrounding the whereabouts and whatever happened to my Grandmother (Emily Murphy nee Carley), sometime after the birth  of my motherin 1907 and the 1911 census, she seems to have "disappeared", some rumours say that she left my grandfather and went to the United States but I cannot find any record of this. If anybody can shed any light I this subject I would be very grateful

Robert & Emily married on 13th Sept 1896 per the church register. Richard Murphy and Annie Rossiter were the witnesses.  It's rather odd for the period that their first child wasn't born until approx 6 years later!

Per the 1911 census the family lived 5 doors along from the William Street public house run by the Kerfoots - see the following topic - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,498478.0.html
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline timomah

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Regarding Hannah Varian and the Wafer brothers, yes, Hannah was from Cork, her sister Mary Ann (Molly) Varian was the grandmother of my partner. She became a Mrs. O'Kelly and lived in Dublin.

Regards,
Tim