Author Topic: KIRKDALE HOMES, LIVERPOOL  (Read 22815 times)

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KIRKDALE HOMES, LIVERPOOL
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 October 10 12:28 BST (UK) »
The original records for Liverpool Kirkdale Homes which was situated at 241 Westminster Road are held at Liverpool. They will be available at the temporary City Library site in Sandhills. There is a 100 year closure on these records, so the only person who can retrieve the information is the research officer and there will be a charge.

Yes, that's right the records are closed, but admission & discharge records can be obtained. It's the same for many records, which are closed, such as Workhouse records etc... even if they are still closed, the admission & discharge records can be obtained, for a fee of between £10 - £20 depending on the time it takes to find the records. 

HG2
Freeman Freedman Friedman.
Cohen
Rosenburg
From Leeds, Ireland, Liverpool & Lithuania

Welsby
From Lancashire and London.

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 October 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
The original records for Liverpool Kirkdale Homes which was situated at 241 Westminster Road are held at Liverpool. They will be available at the temporary City Library site in Sandhills. There is a 100 year closure on these records, so the only person who can retrieve the information is the research officer and there will be a charge.

Thank you for this information oldbones --will make a note of it--Eileen
Munro, Ross, Gardner, Ballantyne, Higgins, Darroch --Scotland.
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England
Mitchell. Higgins, Darragh-- Ireland

Offline April Hack

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 August 23 20:18 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to decipher the meaning of 'inmate' for the Kirkdale Homes 241, Westminster Road. address on an ancestor of mine where he lived in 1939. Could the inmate refer to being instituted as a mental patient or could it refer to a workhouse? My ancestor was 40 years old. Thank you!

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 August 23 22:03 BST (UK) »
I am attempting to decipher the meaning of 'inmate' for the Kirkdale Homes 241, Westminster Road. address on an ancestor of mine where he lived in 1939. Could the inmate refer to being instituted as a mental patient or could it refer to a workhouse? My ancestor was 40 years old. Thank you!

'Inmate' was an old term that seems to infer confinement but 'patient' or 'resident' would be a better term here. It started out as 'Kirkdale Homes for the aged and infirm' in 1904. Infirmity would infer that some patients may not have been aged but would have been mentally or physically impaired in some way. In 1939 Kirkdale Homes was run by Liverpool City Council. In 1948 it was run by Liverpool City Council and the Regional Hospital Board. They became 'Westminster House Home for elderly people' in the early 1950s. It closed in 1968 and the buildings were demolished. This historical information comes from this site:-

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Liverpool/

Blue