Author Topic: Site of an old catholic convent in Aigburth Liverpool  (Read 26348 times)

Offline lordship

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Site of an old catholic convent in Aigburth Liverpool
« on: Saturday 21 August 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please ?

I visit Liverpool a couple of times a year.  I once stayed in a convent in Aigburth area of Liverpool which was run by the Little Sisters of the Poor.  This order of sisters cared for the elderly and I remember the buildings were quite old.  I think the Little Sisters sold the site in the 1980's, but I would really love to visit the site and to know what has been built in its place.  This order also had a home in Belmond Road Liverpool which has also been sold.  As my aunt is now a very elderly member of the community, I would really love any information I can get about these convents, as I have very happy memories of visits there.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Site of an old catholic convent in Aigburth Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 August 10 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat

The Little Sisters of the Poor have a website so you could try contacting them direct

http://www.littlesistersofthepoor.org/

Liverpool Archives holds some documentation on the convent

Title St Augustine's Home for the Poor, Aigburth (Little Sisters of the Poor)

Date 1958

RefNo 731 TYS/19/3

Extent one file

The record office is closed for development but they will still be answering email enquiries so they can probably direct you to the present day site of the convent

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Leisure_and_culture/Libraries_and_archives/Catalogues_archive_and_local_history/index.asp

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lordship

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 August 10 00:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda
Yes Im aware of the website for the Little Sisters.  As I already mentioned, my aunt is one of the community of (the now) elderly sisters.  They do not now have a convent in Liverpool which is a real pity - they have homes in Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, etc.  I just wanted to know what development now stan ds on the site of the former St. Augustines.  Anyway, tha nks for your reply.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 August 10 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hi lordship

Welcome to Rootschat, perhaps a Moderator could move this to the Lancashire Board, there are a couple of Rootschatters who live close to this area of Liverpool and may be able to help you.

Andy

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 August 10 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hiya and Welcome to Rootschat
The Little Sisters of the Poor on Aigburth road is now St Charles Parochial Social Club...my Aunty Kate(my dads great Aunt) went to the building when she was 80 and I visited there quite often...I was only about 8 so we are talking late 1950`s here...I am 99% certain of it`s position, BUT if I am wrong I apologise ....I would think if you visited St Charles the Priest would give you the relevant info.it is in between
Tramway Road and Burdett Street on Aigburth Road.....allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline FS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 August 10 15:12 BST (UK) »
I don't think this is the same convent but if anyone can help I would be grateful.
My aunt Clara Pilkington was born in Accrington in 1897. She was baptised in the C of E but I know she was in a RC convent in Liverpool. I think it was the Convent of the Good Shepherd Woolton/Wavertree. In about 1950 my parents and I visited her at the convent. That involved a tram ride from central Liverpool. I have looked on maps but can't find the site. Does anyone know where it was? I would also like to find a record of her death/burial. ???

Offline lordship

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 August 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hiya and Welcome to Rootschat
The Little Sisters of the Poor on Aigburth road is now St Charles Parochial Social Club...my Aunty Kate(my dads great Aunt) went to the building when she was 80 and I visited there quite often...I was only about 8 so we are talking late 1950`s here...I am 99% certain of it`s position, BUT if I am wrong I apologise ....I would think if you visited St Charles the Priest would give you the relevant info.it is in between
Tramway Road and Burdett Street on Aigburth Road.....allan ;)

Thanks so much will do !

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 August 10 18:56 BST (UK) »
I don't think this is the same convent but if anyone can help I would be grateful.
My aunt Clara Pilkington was born in Accrington in 1897. She was baptised in the C of E but I know she was in a RC convent in Liverpool. I think it was the Convent of the Good Shepherd Woolton/Wavertree. In about 1950 my parents and I visited her at the convent. That involved a tram ride from central Liverpool. I have looked on maps but can't find the site. Does anyone know where it was? I would also like to find a record of her death/burial. ???
....her babtism is on lan-opc
born 29sept 1897
babtised31 oct 1897
St John the Evangelist
Accrington
Lancashire

child of William Rothwell Pilkington and Eleanor
abode 8 Annie Street
babtised by G Lomas
pretty certain Good Shepard was in Wavertree ...I`ll check..
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 August 10 18:59 BST (UK) »
Did Clara have a Married name FS ?...allan