Author Topic: Site of an old catholic convent in Aigburth Liverpool  (Read 26192 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Site of an old catholic convent in Aigburth Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 13:35 BST (UK) »
The Aigburth site has been well covered here I just thought I would add that the Poor Sisters' residence that was formerly at Belmont Grove/Belmont Road Liverpool was called St Joseph's Home. The building was demolished and housing is now on the site.

Blue

Offline Heyesie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 September 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

There used to be a site on Aigburth road which is now an housing estate
You now need to get to the estate via Grassendale road off Aigburth road,
if you go on google maps and put in Ranelagh drive south.
this is assuming you know how to use the maps facilty sorry
anyhow, find Ranelagh drive sth and drop the yellow man on Aigbuth road facing Ranelagh
if you look across the road from here, you will see the old walls and gate area of the convent
so really it will be Grassendale rather than Aigburth,
if its the correct palce that is

ps the estate is called Montford Drive off Grassnedale road

Offline Larry Daley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Born in England Went to Cuba Was guerrilla in mountains and plains in the War against Batista Was arrested by Castro in April 1961 Released through mediation of British Embassy Finished School in US Ph. D in Plant Physiology from Department of Bioph
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 July 14 01:35 BST (UK) »
Just passing through collecting and verifying information for my book of family memories "Love and War in Cuba."

My mother, her sisters and my own sisters attended La Sagesse, Catholic Girls School,  in diverse times stretching perhaps the late 1920s to 1948. 

My brother Lionel (now deceased) and I attended St. Austins School across the way for a time at the end of WWII and a little later.  Classes were held in the old building, and Mrs. Jones was the headmistress.  I was expelled for resisting telling on one of my fellow students....and went on to attend St. Edwards,

This apparently did little harm because eventually I became a professor at Oregon State University, in the US...

My mother Leonela (Lela), and her sisters Manuela, Bitina and probably Lucia attended apparently traveling by tram (the 'green goddess') from the Cuban consulate where grandfather Calixto Garcia-I~niguez Enamorado was consul general from the late nineteen twenties to the middle nineteen thirties.

Aunt Bitina would tell me about throwing pennies at the knees of the boys that bothered them...

Lionel and I would pass that cricket club each school day as we came from Cooper Avenue,

Laurence Daley
Professor Emeritus

Offline JohnLFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 19:19 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this has been answered satisfactorily but there was a convent on Woodlands Road Aigburth but closed down about 10 years ago. Its a fabulous building standing empty.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 21:59 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting, Larry Daley. I went to La Sagesse Prep and when Harold Wilson closed that down I went to St Austin's, but a bit later than your dates. I enjoyed my time at La Sagesse and would have liked to go back after the 11 plus, but went to Bellerive instead. I made my first communion at La Sagesse. claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Ruby1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have just found this discussion and would like to ask if anybody recognises this photo.  I was told my grandfather worked as a gardener for the nuns but I don't know which convent and wondered if this photo was the convent.  My grandfather lived in Fearnside Street off Earle Road.

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 March 15 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I can't be sure but I think this statue / garden shrine was in the grounds of St. Augustine's, the home for the elderly run by the Little Sisters of the Poor. I only saw it on a couple of occasions in the 1970s when my great aunt was there. It was round the back of the building somewhere, close to the car park and it looked rather different, but I think that was owing to different plants and a repainted wall in the background.

The semi-circular archway in which the statue has been placed and the little formal garden in front of it is what looks familiar to me. I've been back to look at the photo several times, but St. Augustine's is the only place where I can remember seeing the formal garden affair in front of the statue.

Any other suggestions, anyone ?
Joney
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton

Offline Ruby1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 March 15 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joney,

Thanks for your reply, where was St. Augustines?

Offline Joney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 16 March 15 18:31 GMT (UK) »
On Aigburth Road close to St. Charles' and on the same side of the road. Not time to find a map, sorry- got to dish up a meal.
Joney
Liverpool - Ireland 
 Skerries, County Dublin - Thorn(ton),  Wicklow -  Traynor
Baltray, Co. Louth, McGuirk and  Co. Mayo -  Phillips
Isle of Man - Harrison -  Andreas and Morrison - Maughold, 
Durham, Hetton and East Rainton area  - Brown and Kennedy
Northumberland - Clough, Longbenton