Author Topic: Welsh movement from Radnorshire into Shropshire in the early 1700s  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Mimble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie Louisa Jones of Aldon, great grandmother
    • View Profile
Welsh movement from Radnorshire into Shropshire in the early 1700s
« on: Sunday 22 August 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
My Williams family were from Beguildy in Radnorshire, earliest traced to the late 1600s, and by the 1830s one branch were farming in Chapel Lawn in Shropshire. I am trying to get a pattern of Welsh movement into England to establish how and when they acquired land in Shropshire. Please let me know if any research has been done on this.
Mary
Morgan, Wilcox, Hulbert, Olive - Gloucestershire; Diggines, Gill, Rivers, Bull, Powell, Howell - Bristol; Hulley, Cawood - Yorkshire and South Africa; Stedman,  Hamar, Luther - Shropshire; Staddon, Rawle, Richards, Kemp -  West Somerset; Jones - Bettws, Montgomeryshire and Mainstone, Shropshire; Williams - Beguildy, Radnorshire; Coleman - Kent; Gradwell, Strickland - Lancashire;  Moodie -  Orkneys; Montgomery - Armagh, Down and Kildare; Parke - Kildare and Wicklow; Brangan - Bandon, Cork.

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh movement from Radnorshire into Shropshire in the early 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 11 20:14 BST (UK) »
As the population moved into cities from 1700 onwards a lot of farmers moved to the city perimeters. Food doesn't keep long and transportation was bad back then so anyone farming near a city had a good life whereas ones that stayed out in the styx struggled..