Author Topic: Barbados History  (Read 3208 times)

Offline sarahkirton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barbados History
« on: Sunday 22 August 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for a either a website or a historian who can help me research an area of Barbados, my ancestors went to Barbados in 1640 and became rich sugar plantation owners, and I am trying to gain a little knowledge on the place that still has there name, Kirtons in Barbados.

Thanks

Sarah

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados History
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 10 19:07 BST (UK) »

Hi Sarah,

Have you tried googling Kirtons, Barbados? I foung quite a bit of information there.

Also
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home has almost 3,000 records for the name of Kirton in Barbados.

Plenty to be going on with! ;D

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline SMJW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi There,
I am related by marriage to a Richard Kirton of Barbados b 1935 and died in last couple of years.
Would be interested in sharing information - I will also be following up on the tips provided to you.
Cheers :)
Watkins Suffolk England to Trinidad; Steele Grenada to Trinidad W.I.; Ottley Nevis to Trinidad W.I.; Huggins Trinidad & St. Vincent W.I. 1881-Present

Offline oakover

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi. I too am trying to research my Gibbes roots in Barbados. They were a massive family of plantation owners, it seems. My GGGmother came over to Portsmouth around 1884-5 and I am trying to discover the ship she sailed on, route she would have taken etc. Any ideas?
Rose. Cavell. Eastes. Weston ( All Walmer/Deal)  Holman. Unwin. Doel (Portsmouth)   Southwell. Marshall. Coleman ( Gosport )  Gibbes/Webster/Cotton ( Barbados)     Penny. ( Chatham)

Offline julesdoopydoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados History - Kirtons
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

I know that it was a long time ago that you posted this query, if you already have this information I apologise.

Kirtons is an area (in the UK would probably be called a hamlet) in the parish of St Philip, SE of the island.  Most areas on the island are named after the plantation that was most often there.  Indeed, there was a Kirtons plantation and a good site - Creole Links, states that the owners were : 1796 Edwin Lascelles: 1801 James Nurse : 1826 James Nathaniel Crichlow : 1841 Philip Lytcott Applewaite and 1844 In Chancery.

Regards,

Julie