Author Topic: Help please  (Read 3631 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Help please
« on: Wednesday 26 May 04 17:44 BST (UK) »
Dear all
I rearly need a bit of help from some one that has come up against the same as me my G.grandfather John Sewell died 31 december1887 aged 58 years I have the death cert thought it might of told me his date of birth but it dosent I know he was born in carlisle I also know that his father was John but the IGI tells me that there was 3 Johns born in the same arear at the same time how do I work out which one is mine I have spent months getting no where I have also tried to finde his marriage have all his sons birth cert but no trace of that either I know my great grand mother Mary douglas was born Dumfries so tried Scotland and nothing could some one please tell me where i go from hear
audrey

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 May 04 18:01 BST (UK) »
Audrey

First Thoughts are - have you followed him back through the census returns, each time picking up bits and bobs of info - birth location, residence, where kids were born indicating wether he moved a lot or not - all that kind of info.

As he died in 1887, he should be on 1881 aged 52, 1871 aged 42, etc - making him born in 1829 or thereabouts.  You say there are 3 possible Johns born 1829 - have you tried to find any of them in 1841 or 1851 census returns, thus proving they are the right John - or there again eliminating them.

On the sons birth certificates, where are their births located? - mum usually went home to have her first child and usually married in the parish where she grew up.

There are still endless possibliities to explore

Chris in 1066Land
One of Rootschats Founder Members
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land.      www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings
Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com and
                                            www.swarbrooke.com
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com
NEW - Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
NEW - Local History site: http://Baldslow.com
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 May 04 18:35 BST (UK) »
thanks chriss I have done all the thigs you segest I have tract him back to botchergate  where I know he was born but the secus info is not consistant about his age I know from the birth cert his wife could not write as she sighned with X I have also been told that some people in those days did not often know there own age I know that is the same family on the sencus  as all the children are right and I know his wife was Mary Douglas and she was born in Dumfies the eldest child was born 28 june 1853 I sent for the cert although I did have my grandfathers just to make sure they all had the same mother as i could finde no marriage I even paid for some resurch but it turnd up nothing
audrey

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 May 04 15:17 BST (UK) »
I know this isn't strictly on topic but when a person "made there mark" it doesn't mean they couldn't write.  I have a women on my tree (not a direct) who has 5 illegitimate children on 3 she signed her name neatly and on 2 she "made her mark".

Cheers,
Pam
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!