Author Topic: Taking Dad home  (Read 6426 times)

Offline Darwin

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mother
    • View Profile
Taking Dad home
« on: Monday 23 August 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
As it's so much a part of family history, I just thought I'd let the Banffshire crew know that I'm taking my Dad home, which was his last wish. He lived most of his adult life in Devon as he married a Devonshire Maid but he was always a "highland laddie" and he wanted to have his ashes scattered on the Balloch - a hill near Keith. He used to run there as a boy catching rabbits (when he should have been at Mass) and collecting seagull's eggs to take home and cook (no idea how they must taste!). His grandparents had a little farm at Herrockside at the foot of the Balloch.

We have the Scots family coming to join us and afterwards we're sharing memories, photos and family history.

Here's to you "Tam".

Devon: Sloman & Parsons
Banffshire: McGregor & Ogg
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darwin

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mother
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Dad home
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 August 10 22:06 BST (UK) »
Here he is again:

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 August 10 22:10 BST (UK) »
Darwin, I hope all goes well. Tam is going home to a place full of happy memories for him from what you have said :)

Seagull eggs must be a delicacy that has passed me by!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 August 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hope all goes well also and you meet up with family to celebrate his life.  Not sure what seagulls eggs wld taste either..maybe you can ask the family if they knew  ???

Bittersweet to have lost a very dear loved one but happy in that he is placed home..where his heart lay.

Very best wishes for a memorable last day with your da  :)

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Darwin

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mother
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 August 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks!

I'm flying up to Aberdeen tomorrow and then hiring a car for 6 days. We're scattering his ashes on Wednesday.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline leanora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hope all goes well  and what a wonderful thing to do for him.

PS seagulls egg taste very fishy I have eaten them as a small child in Peterhead.  But it was not an easy task collecting them. Men and boys used to slide down ropes  from the cliff above the nests and collect the eggs and climb back up . While being attack by the seagulls.
Thomas Kelly   Peterheadknown as Tom son know as tommy
James Kelly Bellshill
Williaminia Kell nee Barclay peterhead/ Leeds ?
Martha Daze Edinburgh
Jessie Cussie Peterhead
Isabella Barclay  Lonmay? possible know as Isobella Cassie at some time as well
William Barclay Banffsh
John Carson 1821  Cambusland aged 60
Elisabeth wife daughter Also Elisabeth who married James Kelly and had 6 children
sarah kelly 13
thomas kelly 11
John kelly  10
Richard Kelly  6  Martha Kelly 1 became M Daze

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
PS seagulls egg taste very fishy I have eaten them as a small child in Peterhead.  But it was not an easy task collecting them. Men and boys used to slide down ropes  from the cliff above the nests and collect the eggs and climb back up . While being attack by the seagulls.

The gulls nesting on the Balloch are more likely to be Common Gull, which often nest well inland, rather than the species, like Herring Gull, which commonly nest around the coast. I've encountered several colonies on hills in the area around Keith, though not on the now forested parts of the Balloch - they prefer open ground. It can be quite alarming walking through a colony in the nesting season because they will and do attack, and they have sharp beaks! They may go as far as the coast to feed, but they also eat worms, insects etc so their eggs might not taste quite as fishy as those of coast-nesting birds. They are also becoming a nuisance because they have moved into towns and villages to nest on hedges and flat roofs, causing a lot of noise and mess. In some seaside towns gulls of both species terrorise people, especially children, by swooping down and stealing sandwiches and chips (that's French fries to the overseas readers!) from their hands.

Sorry, this is a bit off-topic, except that it is a little bit of social history relating to what our forebears ate. I don't think people routinely eat gulls' eggs these days, though there are still iron spikes on many cliff tops where the ropes used to be attached.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
The wife's Uncle lives in Keith and not only did he used to eat gulls eggs, he still does. Says he loves them. I notice some Ogg's and Cruickshank's in your list Darwin53, Keith connections?
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN