Author Topic: David Reese/Rees of Kerry and Shropshire  (Read 3601 times)

Offline GazT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Reese/Rees of Kerry and Shropshire
« on: Tuesday 24 August 10 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for any information on David Herbert Reese (or Rees) possibly born in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire about 1835/6. He came to Australia and married in 1862 and settled in Chiltern, Victoria, as a butcher.

There is no information on his death or marriage certificates about his parents, but the 1841 census appears to show him living in Bishop's Castle and in the 1851 he is in Welshtown, Montgomeryshire with parents David, a shoemaker, and Sarah. According to the IGI a David Rheece is baptised in Bishop's Castle in April 1936, parents David and Sarah.

I'm keen to find if this is my David Reese and anything about his background. His erstwhile father David appears to have been born about 1812 and Sarah about 1806 or 08. I can find no record of their marriage but David Sr seems to have died in Forden, Montgomery, in Dec 1881. The 1881 census seems to have him at 71 in the Forden Workhouse.

David and Sarah seem to have at least five other children: Richard, Jane, John, Edward and Margaret, born between 1832 and 1846, the last of these in Newtown, Montgomery.

Anything at all on these people would be really helpful

cheers
GazT

Offline Oura

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David Reese/Rees of Kerry and Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 February 19 08:15 GMT (UK) »
It has been some time since you posted this request, but the following article in the Federal Standard (Chiltern, Vic. : 1914 - 1918)  Fri 4 Jun 1915  Page 2  under OBITUARY provides background on David Reese. Also from the Chiltern cemetery information you will find that he married Margaret Barr who lived in Wodonga at that time. They were married on the 29th April 1861 in Albury (NSW BDM). The Federal Standard is available via Trove digital newspapers.

Offline paulsai

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 May 19 08:05 BST (UK) »
Re David Herbert Rheece (Reese) who married Margaret Barr and lived in Chiltern,Victoria,Australia I have some detail on this family and am happy to share.

"According to his obituary, it is believed David Herbert Reese arrived in Australia on board the vessel, Marco Polo, during the 1850’s. At this point in time no record for David Reese has been identified.
Margaret Barr, the daughter of James Barr and Mary Mochrie, was born on the 12th November 1845 and baptised on the 20th April 1849 in St Andrews Scots Church, Sydney, NSW.
David Herbert Reese married Margaret Barr on the 9th April 1861 in the Presbyterian Church, Smollett Street, Albury, New South Wales.  The marriage document records that David Herbert Reese was a ‘butcher’ of Chiltern, Victoria. "

However there appears some difference in his birth year as his obituary states he was aged 91 years when he died - DOB c1824.

Have you been able to pin down his DOB?

Cheers
Paul

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 May 19 10:54 BST (UK) »
Going by the mother's birth name in the GRO index, the person in Bishop's Castle would seem to be the son of David Rees and Sarah Jones.

Probable marriage:
David Rees married Sarah Jones on 14th February 1831 in Churchstoke, Montgomeryshire. Witnesses: Peter Price and Richard Jones.

If David was 91 when he died, this would be the wrong family.

David

Offline Oura

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 May 19 08:55 BST (UK) »
Re: Birth date of David Herbert Reese.
I don't have his birth year.
My research relates to Margaret Barr's step-sister Annie Elizabeth Bennett.
Oura