Author Topic: DIXON, Londonderry, 10 miles south of Giant's Causeway  (Read 3280 times)

Offline jjftl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DIXON, Londonderry, 10 miles south of Giant's Causeway
« on: Tuesday 24 August 10 10:34 BST (UK) »
My Irish great-grandfather, Robert Dixon (b.ca 1857-60) was married to a Catholic girl, Helena Parkin, in Australia in 1885 "according to the rites of the Presbyterian Church", no age, parents or birthplace given.   He died in Australia in 1921, aged 61 according to his death certificate where my grandfather informed that he was born in Londonderry, Ireland and had lived in Australia for 40 years. 

His father's name was given as Robert (though my mother seemd to think it might have been James) and his mother's name was unknown.  The nearest shipping list entry shows a Robt.Dixon, aged 22, arriving in Melbourne from London in 1879, no other details given, though his nationality is shown as English.

Robert and Helena had 8 boys and a girl:  James Albert, William George, Robert Emmett (my g'father), Iona May, George Ernest, John Cyril, Arthur Gordon, Norman and Reginald Parkin.  My great-aunt (Iona) knew little about her father but claimed that he had said he came from 10 miles south of the Giant's Causeway. 

The names of his children seem to suggest an Ulster-Scot heritage and because he was born shortly before Civil Registration began in Ireland, I am pinning my hopes on Presbyterian registers (possibly from the parishes of Macosquin or Aghadowey, or Dunboe if he had his direction wrong)

Griffiths (1858) records  Robert J Dixon and Daniel Dixon in Camus townland in Macosquin parish and a James Dixon in Ballynacally Beg, Aghadowey parish.  The 1831 L'derry Census records a Thomas Dixon in Camus.  The 1901 and 1911 Censuses of Camus show 3 neighbouring houses of Dicksons (2 are spelt Dixon in 1911) headed by Thomas, Robert John and Margaret (widow).

My family names do not include Thomas or Daniel.  My great-grandfather was competently literate, writing a poignant letter to the Department of Defence when he read of his son's death at Gallipoli in the newspaper before being advised by the authorities.  The surname in Australia has always been spelt with an X.

I would be extremely grateful of any leads on this family or suggestions of where to look next.  There are other Dixons down Ballyscullion way, which seems too far south and several are Catholic.  Ballymoney has also been suggested but Antrim was never mentioned in the family.  I suspect maybe my Dixon family either perished or left, leaving Robert with no strings and the option to emigrate, but I have done all I can do from Australia!  Any help with Presbyterian register entries, school records etc. greatly appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DIXON, Londonderry, 10 miles south of Giant's Causeway
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 11:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
'Ten miles south of Giant's Causeway' would still be in Co. Antrim (around Ballymoney area) so if born in Co. Londonderry perhaps a bit farther than 10 miles.
Have checked some Presbyterian church records to eliminate them (there is no centralised place to look at all registers and not all are online). No Robert Dixons (Dickson is another local spellling of the name) in-
Aghadowey Presbyterian Church (baptisms start 1855)
Crossgar Presbyterian Church
Killaig Presbyterian Church
Macosquin Presbyterian Church (although there is a gap in records during 1850s)
Main St. (2nd) Garvagh Presbyterian Church

However, did find a Dickson family which I'll post brief details about just in case they later turn out to be connected-
Robert John Dickson, Camus died 30 Dec.1888 (age 67)0 brued Camus, death notice signed Thomas Dickson
Thomas Dickson, Camus died 12 Mar.1907 (age 87)- buried Camus, wife Jane
Thomas Dickson, Camus died 15 Jan.1940- buried Dromore O.S. Church, brother R.J. Dickson

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jjftl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey!
My goodness, you are magic!  I only just had time to eat dinner and your reply was there.

I have had a hard time trying to work out where 10 miles from the Giant's Causeway would fall, what with trying to superimpose maps of townlands, parishes and the modern roads, but ended up drawing a radial arc from the Causeway.  Who knows whether my great-aunt remembered it correctly or whether my great-grandfather meant 10 miles by whatever road existed in his day - these are the dilemmas that face us, aren't they? - but it is all I have to go on.

I'm presuming you are local to the area?  Should I perhaps post this on the Antrim site as well?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 13:24 BST (UK) »
No, duplicate posts only result in more confusion. Suspect that if Londonderry is correct it might refer to Coleraine area. Suppose no parents listed on death certificate?

Offline jjftl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 14:50 BST (UK) »
Just father, given as Robert, mother's name unknown.   I think we thought it could have been James because, following the usual patronymics, his eldest son was James Albert (although he was always known as "Bert" and swapped his name around to Albert James in adulthood).

The second son appears to have been named for Helena's side, her father being William and her brother being William George.  We were intrigued by the Robert EMMETT and also by Iona May for the only daughter - do these names connote anything apart from a connection to Irish patriotism and the Scottish isle?  My great-aunt hated her name and was always just called "Sis"

Helena (sometimes Eleanor) Parkin was born in Australia and her father was English, so it seems Robert must have had a firm idea about choosing names for his children since, apart from William George, they don't relate to her family. 

That's why it would seem strange in those days , though not impossible of course, not to name at least one son Thomas or Daniel if you were part of the Camus family of Dicksons, which seems to have started with the Thomas in the1831 Census, who has had sons Robert John, Daniel and Thomas in the 1820s, with one or other of these having another Robert John and Thomas in the 1860s.

I find in my other families that where very little is known about someone it often means that the parents have died quite young - their offspring are left without their heritage of stories, links and relations.  I suppose I hoped to find a family where there was either an obvious and logical place where Robert might fit time-wise, or a death/burial of an older Robert with a son Robert who disappears from the locality.

Perhaps Daniel died or left in search of a less subdivided future, perhaps he also had a son Robert, and perhaps I am just floundering around in the wrong townland!

Whatever the case, I do GREATLY appreciate your input.

Offline Oceanridge

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 July 20 12:40 BST (UK) »
Good Morning jjftl and aghadowey,

I'm responding to this 10 year old post hoping there may be more information on the Dixon family from Camus. 

My great-grandfather is Hugh Creelman Dixon (b. 1886) son of Thomas Dixon and Margaret Dixon (nee Creelman).  Thomas and Margaret had five sons Daniel, Alexander, James, Robert Thomas, Hugh and John.  I find Margaret on the 1901 census in House 6 with Alexander, James, Hugh and John and on the 1911 census in House 11 with James and John. 

Also on the 1901 and 1911 census are Dixon neighbors. 

I find Thomas Dixon (age 40) living with his father Thomas (age 75) and mother Jane (age 72) in House 5 on the 1901 census.  I also find Thomas Dixon (age 48) living in House 12 with his mother "Mary" Jane (age 80). 

Robert John Dixon is on the 1901 census in House 3 with wife Catherine and 8 month old son Thomas and on the 1911 census in House 19 with wife Catherine and daughters Maggie and May.

I have the death certificate for Hugh Creelman Dixon.  The father is listed as Thomas and mother is listed as Margaret Creelman.  I'm trying to determine if the Thomas Dixon who was with his father in House 5 on the 1901 census and House 12 on the 1911 census is Margaret Creelman's husband and Hugh's father.  Do you think this makes sense since they were not in the same house but next door to each other? 

aghadowey, The information you posted below seems to also match my information.

Robert John Dickson, Camus died 30 Dec.1888 (age 67)- buried Camus, death notice signed Thomas Dickson
Thomas Dickson, Camus died 15 Jan.1940- buried Dromore O.S. Church, brother R.J. Dickson

Can you let me know where this information came from?

I also found the following family tree and burial information on the Northern Ireland Community Archive (Sam Henry Collection).  The birth and death date of Thomas Dixon (sp. Dickson) born 1820 and death 1907 match the information you found.  The burial location is Camus Graveyard not far from Camus Lane.  I believe this tree is connected to mine but I'm trying to find additional resources to prove it. 

https://niarchive.org/archiveitems/page-1-of-2-typed-family-history-notes-for-mrs-mclennan-buffalo-by-sam-henry-dated-17th-december-1931-re-graves-at-camus-graveyard-re-surnames-pa/

https://niarchive.org/archiveitems/page-2-of-2-typed-family-history-notes-for-mrs-mclennan-buffalo-by-sam-henry-dated-17th-december-1931-re-graves-at-camus-graveyard-re-surnames-pa/

I appreciate any information you may have on the Dixon family of Camus.

Thank you!

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 July 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome Oceanridge :)

We have notified this member by email, hopefully they will reply soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 July 20 14:47 BST (UK) »
I haven't been past Camus Burying-ground since last night  :)

Robert John Dickson, Camus died 30 Dec.1888 (age 67)- buried Camus, death notice signed Thomas Dickson

Can you let me know where this information came from?
Lots more Irish records have come online since this thread was started but these records are from what we call 'death letters' and are not online.

Will have a look through my files and see what I have on Dicksons of Camus. Might have notes on Creelmans as well since they are connected to my family as well as my husband's in a round about way.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 July 20 23:23 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather is Hugh Creelman Dixon (b. 1886) son of Thomas Dixon and Margaret Dixon (nee Creelman).  Thomas and Margaret had five sons Daniel, Alexander, James, Robert Thomas, Hugh and John.  I find Margaret on the 1901 census in House 6 with Alexander, James, Hugh and John and on the 1911 census in House 11 with James and John.
I'm trying to determine if the Thomas Dixon who was with his father in House 5 on the 1901 census and House 12 on the 1911 census is Margaret Creelman's husband and Hugh's father.

I think you must not have read all the census information? 1901 census shows Margaret as widow which makes sense as her husband Thomas died in 1900.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1900/05755/4625739.pdf
The Will of Thomas Dixon late of Camus Coleraine County Londonderry Farmer who died 12 July 1900 was proved at Londonderry by Robert J. Dixon and Thomas Dixon (Junior) Farmers Executors. Effects £203 19s. 6d.
I believe there was another son whose birth wasn't registered but died a few days old-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1890/06091/4738319.pdf

Your Thomas Dickson (married to Margaret Creelman) was the son of Daniel Dickson & Mary McIntyre. Daniel's father was Thomas Dickson & the Thomas Dickson who died in 1907 was almost certainly a brother of Daniel.

The 3 death letters I mentioned earlier were for the Thomas who died 1907, his brother Robert John died 1888 and his son Thomas died 1940. This fits with the origin of these old death letters which were part of a very large collection.