Author Topic: DIXON, Londonderry, 10 miles south of Giant's Causeway  (Read 3284 times)

Offline jjftl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DIXON, Londonderry, 10 miles south of Giant's Causeway
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 August 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Oceanridge and aghadowey, 
Gosh, that ten years disappeared quickly!  I'm afraid I cannot contribute anything to the Camus Dixon/Dickson family question as I have not made any progress with my Robert in all this time.  There is simply too little to go on.
I have had a look at the records for Coleraine where there are a number of Dixon families, but once again, the scant information I have is not enough to even suggest a link to any of them.
If either of you find anything that looks remotely possible, I'll be ever so grateful for your input.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 August 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
Can eliminate a few Dixons to start with-
1) Thomas Dixon (c1820-1907), Camus, had a son Robert who stayed in Ireland
2) Robert John Dixon (c1821-1888), Camus, never married
3) a possibly James Dixon, Camus, was married before 1831 (James' name from son James' marriage but I suspect that this is an error and father actually was Daniel
These Dixons were Reformed Presbyterian & Presbyterian.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jjftl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that aghadowey - I had established as much to rule them out, but hoped there might be a related family in the vicinity.  It seems not.  Also, you will see from my original post that not one of Robert Dixon's 9 sons had the name Thomas or Daniel as a first or even second name, which would seem unusual if they were related in any way, so I need to look elsewhere.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
Not every family followed naming patterns and you have to also consider that pre-registration there many be births for as yet unknown children or infant deaths that don't appear in available records.
To give an example, a few years ago someone in U.S. said they were descended from a child named Archibald which I found extremely unlikely. No other Archibalds in family as far as we knew but guess what- Archibald does belong to us (paperwork was finally able to sort it out but DNA has added another mystery).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!