Author Topic: FreckNeale's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 11818 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FreckNeale's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 01 August 21 05:39 BST (UK) »
It's a decade on since the original post, and I'm still searching for Frances. Honestly until recently I was not much further on despite a number of attempts. I recently made a little breakthrough which I thought I'd share for anyone interested.

At the beginning there was the possible Frances Johnson of the right age and birth place recorded on the 1861 census in Sneinton Asylum.

I did recently have chance to check the Sneinton Asylum admission index (record only opened to the public last year as it was closed for 100 years, and the last entry was in 1919).

This record showed that Frances Johnson was admitted to Sneinton Asylum on 26 Nov 1841. Noted as a widow and age 38 at admission. The index notes that she died on 19 Nov 1863.

Now, finding other record of this death record was a struggle, as there were no Frances Johnsons in the GRO index who died in Dec quarter 1863 of the right age or place.

Looking in burial records I did come across this burial at Nottingham St Mary's, which seems about the right date:
23 Nov 1863, Frances Sharp, age 60, of Asylum

There is a Frances Sharpe in the GRO death index which ties with this burial. I just ordered this death certificate to see if it contains any more useful information.

On the 1851 census, there is a "Frances S." (no surname given), who was a widow, age 48, born Upton.

I suspect Frances Sharp and Frances Johnson are the same person. My Frances did have a son born in 1824 in Upton, Notts, which might explain why that 1851 census entry showed Upton as her birthplace.

The question is whether I could have found my Frances at long last, or whether I have been barking up the wrong tree for so many years. The other question, if this is the right Frances, why using the surname Johnson sometimes and Sharpe others?

I'll post the death certificate info when I receive it.

Alexander

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 01 August 21 08:57 BST (UK) »
My thoughts are that when the Frances Johnson was admitted to the asylum presumably her mental health was such that any information she gave was perhaps not accurate.

In fact she may not have been capable of giving any reliable information and some other person gave the information and it would be only what they thought was correct.

Why Sharpe? Who knows, at some point Frances may have decided her name was Sharpe again who knows what her mental state was.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 01 August 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
Just looking at Southwell in 1841 David Frecknell was living on King Street, that is still the main shopping street in Southwell and the majority of the houses and shops on there would have been built before 1841, ( Look on street view ) so my guess he was living above the shop.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 01 August 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaywit, thanks for looking.

David lived at Waterloo Yard just off King Street, this is where he died in 1845 and his wife Ann died in 1846.

I think that David and the family moved from Newark to Southwell around 1839. Although she was born in Eastwood, Ann's family lived in Southwell from the 1770s. Ann's brother Henry Richardson died in early 1841 (just before the census) at Waterloo Yard, Southwell. According to his will, dated 1839, David and Ann were "late of Newark upon Trent", suggesting it wasn't long since they moved. Ann was sole beneficiary in her brother's will, as his only surviving close relative, so it's likely that they moved into Henry's property in Southwell around the time of his death.

Alexander

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 01 August 21 17:04 BST (UK) »
Waterloo Yard is still there.

I hope you can see Google street view I think this is Waterloo Yard at the side of Aspire hairdressers.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0789276,-0.9538882,3a,75y,343.54h,84.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sShPXRRq4nRVbsopnmDtpzw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 01 August 21 17:08 BST (UK) »
Waterloo Yard is still there, it's a little further down next to the Boots, there is a sign still:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0786803,-0.9544059,3a,75y,276.46h,81.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s61gMNb3qziiZYJK11qe_Sg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 01 August 21 17:41 BST (UK) »
I just thought I was wrong, ( whilst I was watering the garden ) but I couldn't work out where it was exactly, I wondered if it was the path at the side of the library, but again I was wrong.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 01 August 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
Just looking at land tithe records I found this entry in Southwell in May 1841 (a few months after Henry Richardson's death). This would confirm that David and family moved into Henry's property.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 01 August 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
On the corresponding map it looks like those plots (78 and 79) tie with the current location of Waterloo Yard.