Author Topic: Edmund Whit(t)aker & Margaret Donough  (Read 4009 times)

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Whit(t)aker & Margaret Donough
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 August 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood, Cardiff and Hassy Girl,
Firstly, you are 100% correct about the family. Edmund Senior was a tailor who joined the military in 1813 aged 15. I have no idea of where he served his apprenticeship unfortunately.
James was the eldest son but he died (I have no idea what from)  and then Edmund and Margaret's youngest child was also called James. I have John Munn's birth certifcate but the Lancs registry office have confirmed they cannot find a record of James's birth. I can't trace this James at all. Edmund and John Munn I have had great success except JM's burial place with but I haven't tried to trace the girls.
Love your work guys :) Don't you just love a good mystery ;D
Tilly Ann
Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 August 10 14:22 BST (UK) »
TAKEN FROM THE BRITISH ARMY SERVICE RECORDS
edmund whittaker corporal born in the parish of rossendale lancaster by trade a tailor attested for the 23rd regiment of the foot at manchester in the county of lancaster on the 5th sept 1813 at the age of 16.he was a private from 5th sept 1813 untill 31st july 1837 then he was a corporal until 12th june 1839.total service up till the 21st june 1839 23yrs 271 days of which 1yr 316 days were as a corporal ,served 1 yr in th enetherlands the remainder at home.looks like ur man was invalided out.says suffered from rhumatic fever for more than 13yrs for which he attributed to an attack of fever in dublin .under in what respect does it disqualify him from military sevice it has writen his inability to bear millitary appointments or fatigue from dypsheria.normal trade is listed as tailor.more or less what they are saying is his leaving the aarmy was medical and nothing to do with his conduct as that was good.
there are 11 pages of records for him on find my past
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 August 10 15:32 BST (UK) »
john munn whittaker joined 24th april 1863 aged 19yrs joining the 106th foot his occupation is listed as clerk.promoted to corporal in 1866 for good conduct only to be demoted back to private in 1868.promoted back to corporal in 1870 and promoted again to seargent in 1871.promoted to colour sergant in 1873.promoted again to warrent officer and discharged in 93 .looks like he carried on the john munn name with son born 1886.married twice.cant find him in 61 shame
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 August 10 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Alli,
Edmund Whittaker (John Munn's brother and my descendant) is the only member of the family I can find in 1861. He is married to Catharine Murphy and they are living in Hondoras St Oldham, Lancs at the time. I am confident Edmund Senior is deceased by now. If Maraget remarried and changed her name then that could explain why we can't find them.
John Munn as a name interests me greatly. The Whit(t)akers and the Munns were prevalent in the Rossendale area. JM does name is son John Munn but so does Edmund his brother and Edmund's son Edmund John also has a John Munn but I can't find a reliable connection to the Munn family. I have so far only been able to go as far back as James Whi(t)taker and Ann Lord.
Regards
Tilly Ann
Whittaker (originally from Newchurch, Rossendale then Manchester) and Seel (Manchester).

Offline Hassy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
I had seen this entry for 1861 but discounted it but the news that John was a clerk could be a clue
It might be worth checking out the address he lived at when he signed up in 1863 to see if there is a match.

Living in Hulme
with the Cogan Family (May be Logan)

John Whitaker Visitor Clerk in Merchant Office and also Brother James aged 15 but states born Manchester.

Offline tillyann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 August 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I do know that the family must have had some prior link with Manchester as James and Ann Whittaker had Edmund (John Munn, Edmund and James's dad) and Prudence who I know died in Manchester but cannot account for why they were there. Whilst James was christened in Tunstead like his brother John Munn I have not found evidence that he was born in the area.
John Munn was a clerk on entering the army and went back to this occupation for a time after finishing in the army. He eventually became a marine store dealer in S-O-T.
James was christened in 1848 but that does not necessarily mean it was his birth year so the age could be right.
It is possible that James was living with one of his sisters (Margaret Ann and Elizabeth).
Cheers
Tilly Ann

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Has anyone an ancestor who looks similar to this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 00:43 BST (UK) »
who I know died in Manchester but cannot account for why they were there

Lots of Whittakers in the Manchester area - including my husband's family - so maybe they had moved to be near their relatives.

Lizzie

Offline ScattyAnn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am John Munn's great grandaughter. My grandmother and great uncle Edmund were both born in India, whilst John Munn was serving there from 1871 to 1876. My grandmother was Margaret Ann Whittaker and was training to be a nurse in the late 1880s in Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire. She then disappears for several years turning up on the 1901 census living in Preston with 3 children. The third child is Wilfred Kendrick but I cannot trace any details of a marriage to Kendrick. I believe that John Munn's mother was Mary Ann Pearson and that he remarried Mary Ann Caton after the death of his first wife. John Munn jnr was a result of this second marriage and emigrated to Australia? Can you help?

Offline Hassy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage in Preston in 1901 between Margaret Whittaker and Thomas Kendrick. (September quarter)

And a death for a thomas kendrick aged 44 in 1907 in Preston
but the birth for Wilfred Kendrick was not registered until 1910.