Author Topic: The elusive and Mysterious Ethel May Evans  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Gwyllim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The elusive and Mysterious Ethel May Evans
« on: Tuesday 24 August 10 18:15 BST (UK) »
My Great Aunt Ethel Evans (1888-?) was born in Liscard, Cheshire to Lemuel Evans (1867-1950) and Ellen Pritchard, and later moved to my beloved Wales where possibly the lack of excitement caused her to run away from home as a teenager to work on the 'Stage' as my mum told everyone. Stage was always with a whispered "If you know what I mean!" She came back to her father's fisherman cottage in the 1930's with red or blond hair, silk stockings and oh horror..she was smoking.
Needless to say my mum fell in love with her, and I have done also. I have with the help of a number of very nice people managed to trace her son Thomas Harcourt to South Shields where Ethel, now known as Ethel May was known as a performer on the stage as was her husband Jack Harcourt. Sadly Tom died in the Normandy invasion so the line ends with him, as no children are noted in the obituaries.

But what happened to Ethel, did she emigrate as one family member states? If you are able to help out I would be very grateful, and in return if you need any help with White Star or Cunard information or Chicago related searches let me know.
Parry, Evans, Carrington from Flintshire, N. Wales and Bennett from Hawarden.
I also do research on Cunard and White Star ships, British Victorian Wars, and the American West.

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The elusive and Mysterious Ethel May Evans
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
There's a death of an Ethel May Harcourt registered Norfolk in 1974, ref: Norwich, 10/1508. Her date of birth is given as 13th April 1888.

This may be your grt aunt.

Savage, Hoskins, Wigley, Edwards, German, Jacks

Offline Gwyllim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The elusive and Mysterious Ethel May Evans
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. I will follow up on your lead.
Parry, Evans, Carrington from Flintshire, N. Wales and Bennett from Hawarden.
I also do research on Cunard and White Star ships, British Victorian Wars, and the American West.