Author Topic: Mr Thomas Dickinson SWIFT 1831-1907 - Family photographs  (Read 4274 times)

Offline abbey2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mr Thomas Dickinson SWIFT 1831-1907 - Family photographs
« on: Tuesday 24 August 10 19:22 BST (UK) »
I am hoping you may be able to help me. 

My wife was recently given a number of photographs (16), relating to the fairly prominent Southport family of Mr Thomas Dickinson SWIFT, taken around the turn of the 20th century. The photographs once belonged to my wife’s Gt. Gt. Aunt Florence ALLONBY who we believe worked for the SWIFT family in the early 1900’s as a servant.  Although why she would have portraits of the family we do not know.  Neither do we know how she ended up in the service of the SWIFT family.  Florence was originally from the Ambleside and Hawkshead areas, but maybe they holidayed in the Lake District.

Some of the photographs are marked and a number appear to show Mr SWIFT’s daughter Louisa Emily b abt 1877 and her husband Albert Edward STEPHENSON b abt 1877 and their daughter Louisa Annie b abt 1899.  They are mainly of younger women and children but one shows Mr SWIFT’s wife Elizabeth taken in Nov 1903.  We also have an undated newspaper cutting entitled ‘Our Portrait Gallery’, showing a portrait of Mr SWIFT and a brief history of his life.  I am guessing it was from between 1906 and 1907, because it mentions the death of his wife Elizabeth, who I understand died in 1906.  Mr SWIFT died I believe in 1907, but the article was written prior to his death by the way it refers to Mr SWIFT.  I am also guessing from the way it is written that it was a local newspaper to Southport.

While the photographs are interesting to us, we would much prefer they be given to any living descendants of the SWIFT/STEPHENSON family if possible, or failing that we will donate them to the local history section in Southport library.  We know Mr SWIFT was the founder of Ince Waggon and Iron Works and moved to Southport in the late 1800’s.  His son in law Albert E STEPHENSON we understand became a newspaper manager according to the 1911 census.  But we have become stuck trying to follow the family to the present day.  We have tried to check the birth and marriage records.  It is possible that Louisa Annie STEPHENSON married John L CLAYTON in 1921.  We think this family had at least 2 children, Peter L CLAYTON, born 1923 and Valerie L CLAYTON, born 1928.  All the events were in the Ormskirk registration district.  A further look for a marriage of Valerie L CLAYTON, shows a marriage in 1956 to Michael G PHILLIPS in Southport.  We don’t have the certificates, so it is difficult to be sure they are correct.  Any help trying to trace any descendants would be much appreciated.

Bob
(Cumbria)

Offline big g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Thomas Dickinson SWIFT 1831-1907 - Family photographs
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 21:23 BST (UK) »
Bob,

Here is the link to North Meols (Southport) F.H.S.  - you may get some information from the members, who are a friendly lot!

Glenys

Williams - Llanllyfni Llandwrog Llanrug Bedd Austr.
Jones - Beddgelert/Nantlle
Parry - Llanllyfni
Owen s - Beddgelert
Pierce - Llanrug
Jarvis/Jervis - Llanrug
Roberts - Llanddeiniolen
Griffith  - Beddgellert/LLanrug

"This information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Corrin - I.o.M./Bootle/K'dale/Seaforth
Stewart - Durham L'pool
Whitford -I o M L'pool
Atkinson - Bootle K'dale
Crookham - Formby Crosby L'pool

Lloyd Dickinson Burgess Threlfall Tarbuck - Lancs

Offline abbey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Glenys,

Thanks for that.  I agree they are a friendly lot.  We have been in contact in the past about this, and their Secretary did do a bit of searching for us, but sadly to no avail.  So we thought we would try again to see if anybody popped up.  I am sure the descendants would love to have the photo's if we could only just find them.  I did email the BBC but they didn't reply.

Bob

Offline crosby

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 12 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bob,
I read the posting you made about the Swift family you made on this site, I came across it as I was researching my Family history, and my late father left me his Swift Family History collection.
His Mother was a Swift, from a long line of swifts -They are from the historic swift family, my father has traced the swifts and marriages etc back to the 1700s in the Formby area.

A lot of his personal work he did tracing his family roots was lost by removal men when my mother moved house a few years after my father’s passing – However the key stone of his tree and earliest swifts survived in a family history book he had .

I am revisiting his legacy and redoing the splendid work he did in the paper trail to put his roots together. He did this in the old school manner in record offices, parish records, church records...this was early 1980’s well before computers, hence making my complex task a little more easily thanks to computers.

Luckily his photograph collection was never lost, he was given the collection by his uncle also a Swift of Formby before he passed – It is THE Swift Family album still in its original bindings of the swifts from late 1800 till mid 1940/50s as it was passed down through the family. It also includes the catholic funeral masses for 5 swift family members as early as 1911 and as late as mid 50s , the collection also has the swift catholic parish book/annual of 1894 ,celebrating  a swift communion.

Perhaps it is the very album mentioned in the lovely story posted that brought me here.

It has 60 plus pictures/postcards and some cabinet cards are included in this album, weddings,births,ww1,ww2 etc ,my father had heard of this story of the missing pictures via his uncle and always wondered and researched about them but could never find anything in his lifetime.

I even have pictures of some swift family servants; perhaps I have one of your ancestors?

I would love to chat with you more about this; I would happily show you the album and the photos, dad’s key stone records. I am not trying to claim any pictures; I just find this a great breakthrough in researching the swift family/fathers history my father started many decades ago. To even think of reuniting the original swift family album with original family members missing is beyond words & feelings to mention.

I still live in the area of sefton, 4 miles from Formby in Crosby and have done all my life.
 I would love to chat to learn & share our intertwined family history

Regards

L.H

Offline GerryWilson13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
 It was purely by chance that I found your posts regarding Mr Thomas Dickinson Swift. Mr Swift is my wifes great grandfather. One of his daughters Edith Lousia Swift married a John Kelly. They had two sons James and John Arthur (my wifes father).. I know that she would be really pleased if she had a picture of her great grandfather. I would be only too pleased to hear further from you in the future..

Thank you
Gerry Wilson

Ps we live in Wigan

Offline GerryWilson13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I have misread my records. Maggie Swift was the daughter of Thomas Dickinson Swift..she married a James Pilkington, their daughter was named Edith Louise after her aunt. It was this Edith Louise who married John Kelly ....so sorry I missed a generation out.....

Thanks
Gerry Wilson

Offline abbey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 February 19 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry and Crosby,

Sounds like I have found a new home for these photos, and possibly some of my wife's family too.  Sorry I haven't been on here for ages so missed the posts until Gerry sent me a message.  I have copied all the pictures and if Crosby would like  a copy too I am more than happy to send you a copy.  My email is bob2bond at gmail.com .

Bob

Offline GerryWilson13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 February 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Dear Crosby, I have just found your post. My wife is a Great great grand daughter to Thomas Dickinson Swift, via Maggie Swift X James Pilkington, their daughter Edith Louise Pilkington.
Edith Louise Pilkington X James Kelly, their son John Arthur Kelly.
John Arthur Kelly X Constance Worthington, their daughter Susan Kelly is my wife.

Do you think it is possible to see some of you photos  and information regarding the family history.

Hoping to hear from you
Gerry Wilson

Offline abbey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 February 19 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Gerry.  Have the photo's turned up?  They were posted last Tuesday but you have not responded my emails.  It would be good to know they arrived safely.