Author Topic: John William Sims & Sarah Best  (Read 3339 times)

Offline bevjoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John William Sims & Sarah Best
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,
We live in Manawatu, New Zealand. You probably related to my husband Les Howard, Les's Grand father was Henry Charles Simms, son of Thomas Edward (Pilot) Sims and Selina Sarrre.  Its on Henry's birth certificate where the name Sims seems to have morphed into Simm's
 Thomas father was John William Sims d. 1906. Sorry i can't  offer any information on this John William Sims father.. was he also John William? Thomas also had a brother named John William (d. 1922). I do have a copy of an obituary for John (d. 1906) where it mentions his fathers profession as a Barrister. I would appreciate any info you are willing to share. The reason  i came across the name on this site is i googled John William Sims as while we were in Johnsonville recently i noted there is a street named John Sims Drive and have contacted the council to see if this was named after our John Sims'.
Regards Bev

Offline kiwi4ever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John William Sims & Sarah Best
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev
Henry Charles Simms (1886 - 1969) was my grandmother's (Eunice) brother - don't think I ever met him although knew his sister Gertrude and husband John Lauridsen.  My father was Norman Mickleson, son of Eunice and I was born in P.N. and then moved to Feilding, moved back to P.N. when I was 11 and went to P.N.G.H.S.  My father married twice and my half sister Fiona Spijkerbosch, still lives in the house I grew up in.  I found the birth notice for Thomas Edward in the Book of Records in London and I have the shipping record for when John William and family went to N.Z. but not much from there on until I researched Thomas's drowning death.  Don't really have any information of John & Mary's life in N.Z. except for their death certificates.  Have a lot more information on Selina Sarre and a couple of generations back of the Sarre family in Guernsey who appeared to be quite wealthy -  sent to me by a 2nd (?) cousin in Brisbane who went to Guernsey and had a lot of the documents translated from French.  Happy to share whatever I have that you don't.
We moved to California from Florida when my husband retired as two of our daughters lived in Redondo Beach - one has since moved to Chicago.
Regards, Elaine