Author Topic: John William Sims & Sarah Best  (Read 3408 times)

Offline kiwi4ever

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John William Sims & Sarah Best
« on: Wednesday 25 August 10 01:13 BST (UK) »
John William Sims & Sarah Best were married at St. Marylebone Parish Church, Westminster, London, on August 31, 1813.  They had a son around 1817, also called John William.  I have not been able to find any information on John and Sarah since their marriage.  He was supposedly a London attorney/soliciter so why can't I trace him?  Were there any more children?

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John William Sims & Sarah Best
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi kiwi4ever,
Welcome to rootschat.
I had a look for your John and Sarah on the IGI records.
www.familysearch.org
but no joy,i could not even find the marriage you found.
Normally you type in parents name and up pops the children but not this time,
I will keep looking,there out there somewhere!
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwi from another ex Kiwi :)

There is a Family Tree that has the same info as yours (hope its not yours!) that has Sarah born c 1793 and John Snr 1785.
They have no actual census data though for John/Sarah.
Also a Son Charles born c 1821.
I can find John Jnr in 1851 but not the others. Well not with that occp for John Snr.

Do you have John Sims born c 1817's Marriage Cert naming his Father as John, oocp Solicitor and his NZ Death Cert naming his Parents as John and Sarah Best?

Billy, the Marriage is on Pallots 1813.

I cant find Christenings for John/Charles either.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline kiwi4ever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 15:25 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage (to Mary Clough) and death certificates for John Sims (1817) and also the shipping information to N.Z. Plus an obituary notice with his photo.  Also, my 2nd cousin has a photo album inscribed, "to John, from your loving mother.  Wellington, 1875."  Was Sarah Sims in N.Z. - she must have been quite old.  Have checked cemetery records for John and Sarah in N.Z. but can find nothing.
It's as if John and Sarah became non-existant after their wedding in 1813.  Very frustrating.  Family stories have him coming from quite a weathy family, but that's as far as it goes and may or may not be fact.
A couple of years ago I went to the Guildhall Library and check the law books for a John Sims from 1812 through 1845 - could find nothing.

Offline kiwi4ever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 15:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Billy and Trish for your input.  I realize that I didn't totally answer your question.  Yes, the death certificate for John William in N.Z. lists his parents names plus the fact that he was an attorney.

Elaine

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,
You have done all the right things to try and track him. Is it possible his Father died and Sarah remarried either in England or NZ?
I will have another look at this tomorrow as I am about to go to bed.

Cheers,
Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline kiwi4ever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
I have wondered that too.  His son and family emigrated to N.Z. in 1859.  Could have died after that except a 2nd cousin of mine remembers his father saying that they both lived well into their 90's.  The thought crossed my mind that he could have died in the 1870's and then his wife went to N.Z., but can't find a death in the UK for John William Sims about that time.  Found two in the 1850's and actually downloaded their wills, but they were not the right one.
Elaine

Offline bevjoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 March 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi There, just new to RootsChat.

My Husband has a John William Sims in his tree, this one was a bootmaker in Wellington his father was a Solicitor in England. John Mary and 6 children came to NZ on the "Cameo" in 1859.

In later records the family name is spelt Simms

Please contact me if you still require info.
 Regards
 Bev

Offline kiwi4ever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 March 18 23:55 BST (UK) »
This is the correct Sims - John William (boot maker) was my g.g.grandfather.  It's his father who was the attorney that I can't find except for his marriage to Sarah Best at St. Marylebone church in Middlesex.  I've been to he Records Office at Kew and searched all the books of lawyers but can't find a thing.  If you have any information, would really appreciate.  Have good records on N.Z.
Do you live in N.Z. or the U.K.?
Regards,
Elaine