Author Topic: Lulworth Cove, Mervyn O'GORMAN photos?  (Read 47276 times)

Offline kilkennylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lulworth Cove, O'GORMAN photos?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 22:38 BST (UK) »
His wife in her will left the entire state to her husband

Has anyone checked Mervyn O'Gorman's will?

I've now read a full copy of Mervyns will (which was written in 1955), the longtime companion mentioned in obits is named as Charlotte Tennant Copland.  The only people mentioned in the will are Ms Copland and, and I quote, "to my nephew Edmond O'Gorman....of Obregon, Mexico" "to my neice Margaret Sharp...of Headcorn, Kent wife of William Sharp" "to my great niece Patricia Von Waberer...of Mexico" .... so in short Mervyns will does not shed any light on who 'Christina' was   :(
Sims, Abigall, Nash, Gilmour, Bradford

Offline Rusoftheeast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 May 15 04:07 BST (UK) »
By the time Mervyn had died in 1958 Christina must have been around 60 herself,she might have died or migrated to somewhere and lost touch with him by then.In 45 years things change.And he had half sisters as well its quite possible for Christina to have different surname to Ogorman and still was his niece through his half sisters.Provided that she was not some model picked off of the streets by Mervyn of course.
Questions I would like to ask though,are that who got the hold of the pictures from Mervyn and When and how?Why do they even have a portrait of her with her name on it? ???

Offline michel65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 May 15 16:23 BST (UK) »
"Questions I would like to ask though,are that who got the hold of the pictures from Mervyn and When and how?Why do they even have a portrait of her with her name on it?"

Good point Rusoftheeast.

I think it's important that the photo with the name imprinted on it is in black and white, it's not an autochrome : it's just the ordinary 19th century black-and white portrait of a family member.

I've got of a kind of romantic idea that mervyn first took that traditional black-and-white snapshot of the girl, without thinking too much about it, and that he later realised how awesome it would be to make more pictures with her -- on autochrome.
Christina (if it's her genuine name, because we all have to build conclusions and hypotheses over sand -- or pebbles ?-- here!) seems a bit younger on the black and white pic. And such a fascinating, creepy stare that it knocks me over each time I look at it.

a name is just a name, however, and it's not even completely certain that it points to the sitter in the photo. What we need is to genealogically trace back (mary) christina (O')Gorman back to the photographer, and nothing has emerged so far.

but don't you think that a part of the appeal of these pictures rely precisely on this mystery?

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 09 May 15 13:36 BST (UK) »

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 09 May 15 13:53 BST (UK) »

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 09 May 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
I thought Mervyn was one of three brothers, but it now seems he had a lot of half brothers and sisters. His father was one busy man , I feel a pity for his wife's

http://www.libraryireland.com/Pedigrees1/o-gorman-2-heremon.php

The relevant section cut from this link is this

137. Edmond-Anthony O'Gorman, of Monamore, county Clare: second son of Michael-Arthur; b. 6th Oct., 1820, and living in 1881. He m. in Jan., 1856, Sophia Pereira (who died October, 1863), and by her had five children:

I. Joseph-Vincent, born 21st May, 1857; made his vows in the Society of Jesus, in London, July, 1877.

II. Francis-Edmond, born 17th November, 1859.

III. Ignatius-Thomas, born 31st July, 1860; in the Society of Jesus, 7th September, 1880.

IV. Mary-Alicia, d. an infant 1871.

V. Mary, born 11th Oct., 1863.

In 1865 he m. Ellen, daughter of Capt. Edward Whyte, R.N., of Loughbrickland, and by her (who died in Nov., 1867) had one son:

VI. Edmond-John Whyte.

In 1871 he m. Margaret Barclay, eldest daughter of Mervyn Archdall Nott Crawford (see the "Crawford" pedigree), of Millwood, county Fermanagh, and by her had three children:

VII. Mervyn Archdall, born 19th December, 1871.

VIII. Cecil Carleton Crawford, born 6th April, 1873.

IX. Bernardine Beauchamp-Colclough, born 1st Nov., 1874

Could one of these half brothers or sisters be the parent of Christina ?

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 09 May 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
sorry for all the posts folks, it's a lazy Sunday morning in bed for me :)

Mervyn O'gorman was one of nine children , of the  8 siblings many can be discounted due to early death or not marrying and taking vows in the Catholic Church. Must of been a very religious family. I've often wondered why Mervyn never had any children and maybe being one of nine kids and losing his father at a early age put him off halving kids.

the possible candidates are the following

II. Francis-Edmond, born 17th November, 1859. He had two daughters of the correct age

V. Mary, born 11th Oct., 1863.  (Would of been 44 when giving birth to girl of Christina age)

VI. Edmond-John Whyte.  Born between 1865 and 1867 did his mother die at chilbirth because she died in 1867

IX. Bernardine Beauchamp-Colclough, born 1st Nov., 1874

mervyns father was having children into his fifties which is quite old by our day and age but with contraception not available then and being a good catholic we should widen the age gap to consider when viewing if  some one would have a child.

Offline Mako23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 09 May 15 23:29 BST (UK) »
Just a little point of interest Mervyn's Father Edmond was born in 1820 his third wife Margaret Barclay Crawford (born 1849) was only 20 (maybe 21) when married in 1871.  Edmond at the time was 51 years old. He was 31 years older than her and had six children with 5 still alive at the time.
The oldest child would of been 14 and the youngest was one. Mervyn was born at the end of 1871 so either she got pregnant straight after marriage or was pregnant before marriage,

I wonder what a 20 year old girl would see in a man 51 years old with 5 kids ??? Money ....did he buy her off her family. I'm 50 years old and I can assure you no 20 year old girls are interested in me, happily my wife of similar age To me still is :)

this O'Gorman family is getting weirder and weirder makes my own crazy family seem sane :)

The stranger aspect is that the Crawford family is well documented and unlikely to be a bunch tenant farmers with no money