Author Topic: Pre 1837  (Read 769 times)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pre 1837
« on: Monday 04 April 05 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

Quick question before I do my first trip to a local Family search center.

What sort of information can I expect to find on a marriage certificate pre 1837, will it have fathers name on it etc.

Same question for a birth certificate, do they have mothers maiden name etc.

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 1837
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 05 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

The short answer to both your questions is no.

There are no such things as certificates before 1837, only entries in the parish registers. 

Between 1754 and 1837, marriages were recorded in pre-printed registers.  Blanks were left for the name of groom, name of bride, the date, whether by banns or by licence, signatures of the couple and signatures of the witnesses and officiating minister.  It usually indicates if they were "of this parish" (or somewhere else).  It may give an occupation, but unlikely.  It may say "with the consent of parent" if either were a minor.  The father may be a witness, but it could equally be a brother and there is no way of knowing.

After 1812, baptisms were entered into pre-printed registers which stayed the same after 1837.  It will give the parents' names, where they lived (an area of the parish probably, but not necessarily the exact address) and the occupation of the father.  You find some ministers entered the birth date as well as the baptism date.  If you are lucky, then you may also find the mother's maiden name, but the majority of the time, you won't.

Before 1812, the entry may just consist of the date, the child's name and the names of the parents.  e.g. B son/daughter of X Bloggs and his wife Y, was baptised.  No occupation, no residence.  There are exceptions, but don't count on it, or you will feel very disappointed.

However, that doesn't mean that you are now stuck.  Whatever you find, it will lead you on a worthwhile hunt and I really hope you enjoy it.   :D

Good luck

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk