Author Topic: Llanfihangel Nant Bran: Evan Pugh father of Samuel Pugh christened 1794  (Read 12500 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Re: Llanfihangel Nant Bran: Evan Pugh father of Samuel Pugh christened 1794
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 05:12 BST (UK) »
 :-\

I seem to have hit the proverbial Brick Wall. I'd like to hear from anyone with any information on Evan Pugh married to Joan Jones, 1779 in Llanfihangel Nant Bran, Brecknockshire, Wales. He had six children: Anne, Mary, Catharine, Thomas, David, and Samuel. Thomas was a Maltster, David a Cordwainer, and Samuel was a Cooper ......

Cheers,

Llanfi
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
The Library of Wales has now found Evan Pugh's Father. At least they found a Llanfihangel Nant Bran, Brecknockshire, Bishop's Transcript for the Christening of Evan son of Thomas Pugh on 9th of April 1743. I am looking to get more information as far back as possible... Thanks for your attention.

llanfi

Offline garfydd

• I am sorry but my email address has been disabled
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
Dear Llanfihangel,,
Will have another look at my transcripts, it might help if you could send Samuel Pugh's wife & issue. Might have it on file will check again.  Llfhnbran & Ll'fan are adjacent.l
Garfydd

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Garfydd!

Thanks for your reply...

Evan Pugh C. 1742 in Llanfihangel Nant Bran was the son of Thomas Pugh (no information yet)

Evan Pugh and Joan Jones, married 1779, had six children: Samuel, Thomas, David, Mary, Catharine, and Anne. All in Llanfihangel Nant Bran.

Samuel Pugh (C. 1794)  married Margaret Williams (from Llandeilo'r Fan)  in 1824, and had four children; Dafydd, Samuel, Hannah, and Margaret all born in Llangorse, Becknockshire.

Samuel (born 1826 in  Llangorse) moved back to Llanfihangel Nant Bran for a while and married Elizabeth Powell (born 1836 in Llanfihangel Nant Bran) in a registry office in Brecon in 1860. They had 11 children.

I think Evan Pugh had two sisters Mary who married John Morgans in 1777 and Anne who married Philip Lewis in 1765, but I don't have any proof that they were children of Thomas Pugh.

I am trying to find out more about Thomas Pugh and Evan Pugh and I am a bit curious about Elizabeth Powell's mother; the marriage certificate shows Thomas Powell (retired farmer) as her father.

Thanks you very much for your interest!

Best regards

Llanfi  :)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 18:13 BST (UK) »
Evan Pugh was born on 9 april 1743 not 1742

Cheers

Llanfi

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thomas Pugh (Wales) had six children: William 1742, Evan 1743, Elizabeth 1745, Ann 1751, Gwen 1754, Samuel 1758... All Christened in Llanfihangel Nant Bran, Brecknockshire. I am looking for more information on Thomas Pugh who was born about 1715, probably in Brecknockshire, but maybe somewhere else in Wales....

:)

Offline Pughm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 January 12 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
   I found a thread you had written on John Pugh from screen farm, and wondered if you had linked your tree to him. I have done some research, and linked my tree back to Henry   pugh died 1743 and sybil Pugh died 1736. All my Pugh family came from the llandeilo graban and my G grand father samual Pugh moved to Pontardulais . So I was trying to link John to my tree but failed .it is a few years since I have done my research ,just got the bug again.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 January 12 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
I will try to help you as much as I can... I have quite a lot of information on the Pugh Family who lived at Skreen Farm around 1800. I haven't found a link between the two families either. Since my last posting here, I obtained the Hearth Tax records for Llanfihangel Nant Bran and Llandeilo'r Fan and I didn't find any Pughs listed there. I conclude that "my" Pugh family moved to Llanfihangel Nant Bran beween about 1660 and 1714. Now this is where it gets quite interesting...
As you know, there was a lot of religious persecution in the late 1600s. I found an account of Thomas Pugh and his wife Elinor summoned to Brecon Court in 1687. They lived in the Llywell parish, and the Parish Vicar reported them for "Not Attending Church Three Sundays in a Row". That was a very serious offence at that time. Now, I also found the will of Thomas Pugh in the Parish of Gwenddwr leaving his affairs in 1689 to his son-in-law Prosser to look after his wife Elinor. Gwenddwr is close to Llandeilo Graban.

I don't think that Thomas and Elinor would have returned to Llywell after their treatment there, and it seems plausible that they moved closer to other Pughs in the Wye Valley area. My ancestor Thomas Pugh is about the right age to have been this Thomas Pugh's son, and he would pobably have moved as well. Possibly from Llywell to Llanfihangel Nant Bran.
It makes a good story anyway, butd I haven't been able to dig up anything to support it so far!
I would be very interested in communicating with you, and you can do so through this channel or I can send you my email address privately.
Thanks for your interest,
Llanfi  :) :) :)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 January 12 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I must add that I obtained a Bishop's Transcript of Thomas Pugh baptised by Thomas Pugh and Elizabeth in 1714 in Llanfihangel Nant Bran...
Cheers!
Llanfi
 :) :) :)